Topic

sleeping system for tossers-n-turners??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear sleeping system for tossers-n-turners??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

The old question…should I turn in the mummy bag or make it turn with me? Should I cut off the hood and design a detached puffy hood?

I have frosted a few mummy bag hoods in the winter…What do you do?

Thanks

Dave

Edit: anyone have a decent hood pattern?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Back in my childhood I learned to take the sleeping bag with me when I turn over.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I try to turn inside the bag. I figure that I've created a good loft of insulation above me, and if I turn, I'll possibly squeeze out warm air and/or expose the compressed insulation from underneath me, possibly letting in cold air. If I turn enough to where i'm breathing in the bag, I twist as little of the bag as possible.

Or, my theories could be a bunch of hooey.

Quilt systems might work well…

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

As a model toss n turner, I've found that a quilt (with plenty of length to bring up around your nose!) and a balaclava (or not, in the summer) has worked better for me than any other system. Katabatic has some cool clavas (note the pit straps to keep it from smothering you when you turn), and thru-hiker has a hood pattern that is easy to mod into a clava. Good luck!

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Thanks for all of your help. guys and gals.

The Katabatic hoods look like the ticket. I may want some sort of a tail on them to tuck into my sleeping jacket, and my noggin doesn't fit inot the "one size fits most" category. I may have to make my own – most likely synthetic.

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools