Topic

Tips for sleeping on foam pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tips for sleeping on foam pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

Does anyone have any tips on how to sleep comfortably on a closed cell foam pad? I tend to toss and turn on one and do not want to go to a heavy inflatable pad.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

The only thing that ever worked for me was to be young

But that train left the station years ago:-)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Put it on as much duff as possible.

Other than that my best advice is to put an inflatable torso pad on top!

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Try scooping out a depression in the ground (or find a natural depression) for your hips/behind. Seems to make a big difference for me.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Sleep on it as much as possible. Once you get used to it, your body will find it fine.

I've never used anything but a foam pad. The few times I've tried an inflatable, I find it TOO soft and pliable.

So, I really do think it is what you are used to.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Sleep on a hard bed at home. At home we have a wooden bed with cotton filled mattress, no springs, and my wife and I both prefer a foam mattress when camping.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found the problem was having a pillow, not the pad. With a good pillow I can sleep on the most basic pad.

The real cure is a hammock. Can't beat it.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Same situation as Jim. As I've gotten older, my hips have gotten more sensitive. Over the years, I've gone through a progression of pads, from none at all, to blue foam, to old-style Thermarest, to Thermarest LE (2" thick and almost 2 lbs.), to POE Insulmat Max Thermo (2.5" thick and 17 oz.), and now a 20" x 60" x 3.5" thick insulated air pad from Kooka Bay. The last, by the way, in mummy style, weighs only 12.8 oz., proving that you can get comfort and warmth without paying a weight penalty.

Some folks like the NeoAir, but I never was able to get comfortable on the horizontal baffles, and I started shivering at 40*F. The NeoAir is also expensive. My custom Kooka Bay pad was about the same price!

Casey Balza

@equals

Yeah I think a pillow will help out a lot. I've been using my down coat and whatever else I had for a pillow but things end up getting scattered through out the night and come undone.

So I think I will try the pillow route next time I go backpacking. I love the simplicity of a foam pad, quick to deploy, put away, and indestructible. I guess I will also just have to wait till I get used to it as well.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools