Topic

opinion of White’s 1099 jean machine sewing machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear opinion of White’s 1099 jean machine sewing machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nico brilmyer
    BPL Member

@niconotori

So i picked up this machine, the White Jeans Machine 1099 at a garage sale for like $5. Don't know much about it, but seeing that it was belt driven I figured it would be a nice simple machine. The one 11" belt on it doesn't always catch, so i figured it needed replaced. The new belt is like $13+ shipping. That being said I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with this machine or something similar. I know its only $13 or maybe like $18 with shipping but I would like to avoid needless spending.

Would this machine handle such fabrics as silnylon or m50 etc.. without issue? Is it even worth the effort of fixing or should I just pass it along to someone else…

The machine is from the early 80's.

Thanks!!
    -Nico

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Hard to say Nico, never heard of it. I could try to look up specs online, but it'll be irrelevant. With these more obscure machines, you'll just have to give it a shot and try.

The big expense with these machines of unknown quality, is the fact that you're likely going to need to get it fully serviced before you can figure out what the real potential is. If there are some issues, there's a great chance it's due to needing some internal fine cleaning or tuning.

Generally speaking, the lighter weight fabrics tend to manifest the minor problems a machine has more than heavy weight fabrics do, from my experience.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools