Topic

MYOB Single gear hybrid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring MYOB Single gear hybrid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Tuning my Specialized 29er and noting the time it takes for tune-ups, the "made in China" frame, and the fact I want more bike commuting; especially since thinking evil thoughts about adding hydraulic brakes, I have to ask myself is this what I really want out of a bike?. I bought it for exercise (and it excels at that) but it's really not simplifying the lifestyle as more gear and tools get added.

…So I've been thinking about a single speed hybrid with a steel frame using the MYOB. More exercise, less tuning, plain-Jane so no one strips it for parts. Simple brakes (none of this brake-less stuff). Thoughts?

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I have a single speed mtb, although I use it mostly for trips around town. I love the simplicity of it, super low maintenance, super quiet, nothing to think about but peddling. I do have avid mechanical disc brakes, which i consider to be very simple.

I can't give you a reason not to build one.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I recently ran through the same thought process as you. I have an old road bike that I use to get around and I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I shifted gears.

So I turned it in to a single speed. I didn't want to spend any money, so I just stripped everything off, removed one chain ring and shortened the chain. It still has a cassette on the rear wheel.

All I bought were flat pedals, an in-line brake lever so I could relocate the lever position, some bar tape and shorter bolts for the chain ring. $32.00 total counting a credit I had at Performance Bike.

It's a blast to ride and obviously very simple.

I might at some point grind off the braze-ons and spray paint the frame and forks. Maybe.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I'm riding a one speed GF Rig right now, I think the gearing is 32 x 16.

If the frame allowed it I would make it a 1×9, if I were you I'd give that a shot.

Edit: +1 on discs brakes. Avid bb7's are super cheap, work great, easy maintenance.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I'm hearing you HK.

I just finished building my first road bike a week ago. Its carbon fibre, running 10speed campag Veloce. Its the first time I've run a bike with more than an 8 speed cassette (my MTB which I use for commuting is 3×8, my touring recumbent trike was 3×8). I'm amazed at how much I have to tune the gears to keep the indexing in place. Apparently this is normal.

I'll see how I go, but when this drive train wears out, I might consider going to a 3×8 set up, just to avoid tuning. To hell with the weight (its only like 500g). And maybe even going to thicker more puncture proof tyres. And I definitely want a single speed/fixie. I figure if its light enough and I get the gear just right, I can probably ride almost as far and fast anyway. Flip flop for the crazy hills.

The other option I was thinking of was trying to build the last bike I'll ever need. Something like a Thorn Mercury would do it. Fast durable frame and geometry, straight bars with good bar ends, Rohloff, solid V brakes. I really love bikes and working on bikes but it chews up way too much time and I'd rather just have a bike I barely ever have to worry about again and spend more time riding.

Nick Lagos

@nicklagos

Locale: South Australia

hey adam,isnt the rohloff internal rear hub almost maintenance free and bomb proof

i dont know much about bike mechanics but was looking at it for a maintenance free bike a few years ago – was pretty expensive if i recall correctly

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Singlespeeds are great. My favorite way to ride bikes.

A gear for mountain riding isn't usually very good for riding around town though. I currently have a 1 by 5 on my bike, with a road rear derailleur and a friction thumb shifter. Makes the commute to work a bit speedier when I want it to be.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Double freewheels are great for giving you at least a little bit of option on gearings, or run a flip flop hub with different gears. Sometimes if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere it is really nice to switch into granny mode or get my ass outta here mode:

Or you could build a dingle speed:
    http://www.psyclestore.com/pages.php?pageid=14

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

this uses the above freewheel. Two-speeds rock
    dingle

btw, never heard of someone having to play with a shifter that much… especially Campy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools