Topic

Heavy duty drugs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

I always have left-over valium, flexeril, & hydrocodine from past ski accidents that go into my backpacking first aid kit. Of course, I follow prescription directives not to mix drugs. I have even asked my doctor after a wrenching my back from a ski fall to give me some extra for summer backpacking. However, I'm a 56 year old outdoor warrior.

I rarely have had to use it, but a few times it's saved me. All of the above have stayed potent for years.

Better living through chemistry!

Kevin Denlinger

@ktdenlinger

Locale: Great Lakes Region

I have been Backpaking longer than I've been a doctor. I write narcotic perscriptions every day, but aloways with a specific patient in mind and a specific level of pain. For a person that is not used to taking narcotics the side-effects in the wilderness could be deadly. The alteration in mental status the can accompany these drugs is often overlooked.
    Yes, pain sucks, and I have had more than most. I would not suggest that anyone ask their doctor for a narcotic pain medication "just in case." This puts the honest/ethical doctor in a difficult postion. Do I give this person without any significant pain a narcotic and risk my license, or do I disappoint and potentially lose a patient? You must understand that on a daily basis we see patients who are lying to us about narcotic needs. Remember the reason you call it "Vitamin V" is it is the most abused perscription medication in the coutry.
    My personal suggestion is something over-the-counter that can treat pain and inflammation,ice if available, and determination. Remember, in most instances, once the inital acuteinjury has occurred you usually will not do any more damage signifacant damage, you just have to get past the pain.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hate to say it but I'll say it: I gave birth to my son naturally with no painkillers or blockers, but having a miagriane in the backcountry? Backpacking after having 3 teeth extracted a day before? Having my back go out on the trail? Yeah, narcotics have gotten me thru all of those. Why? Natural childbirth hurt worse than all mentioned, but I knew that pain would end once the boy popped out. On the other hand, disabling miagrianes can mean me laying in a tent for a day with no extra food or taking pills and walking out (I suffer from both normal miagraines and vertigo miagrianes). I'll take Vitamin V, thank you.
    I don't abuse it, and I only take it when needed, on very rare occasions. There are benefits to carrying certain prescription medications that cannot be overlooked.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

"Wilderness Medicine" by DR. Forgey is THE source for all the meds, prescription or OTC, you'll likely ever need in the wilderness.
    Check it out and use it as standard reference. This guy, unlike most physcians, has BEEN there.
    As a former Nordic National Ski Patroller/EMT I feel this book is invaluable. On a wilderness canoe trip I'd consider it worth the extra weight on a portage. Luckily most of my Canadian wilderness canoe trips were with other EMT's and Paramedics but we had good meds kits in addition to the usual bandages,etc.

Gerard Michalski

@gerardm

"Hate to say it but I'll say it: I gave birth to my son naturally with no painkillers or blockers, but having a miagriane in the backcountry? Backpacking after having 3 teeth extracted a day before? Having my back go out on the trail? Yeah, narcotics have gotten me thru all of those. Why? Natural childbirth hurt worse than all mentioned, but I knew that pain would end once the boy popped out. On the other hand, disabling miagrianes can mean me laying in a tent for a day with no extra food or taking pills and walking out (I suffer from both normal miagraines and vertigo miagrianes). I'll take Vitamin V, thank you.
    I don't abuse it, and I only take it when needed, on very rare occasions. There are benefits to carrying certain prescription medications that cannot be overlooked."

Thank you for sharing that.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools