Topic

Quinoa — will it work in a freezer bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Quinoa — will it work in a freezer bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rob Weaver

@rweaver

I have done an extensive search and found some great quinoa recipes. There are a lot of recipes that involve dehydrated quinoa. BUT — I would like to know whether regular qunioa can be cooked freezer bag style with a cozy. Will this be edible after about 15 minutes in the cozy? Thanks.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

If you precook your quinoa meal and rehydrate it in a freezer bag it will work but you won't have much success with uncooked quinoa I'm afraid. Quinoa from its raw state takes 10-15 minutes of simmering to be edible. I even tried using a thermos… no luck.

The Quinoa and Spinach soup found in the following article works very well as a freezer bag meal…

Seattle Backpackers Magazine – Quinoa – A Superfood for the Trail

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For best results cooking and drying at home is preferable. Then it is a matter of simple rehdyration……that is why instant rice (or basically any rice you cook at home and dry if want) works where regular rice doesn't.

Although you know FBC is my baby, this is an easy way to make Quinoa from scratch on the trail:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/fuel-saver-quinoa

Rob Weaver

@rweaver

Thanks. I just found a Nesco 700 watt dehydrator on a craigslist, so maybe I will try drying it out after all. Quinoa obviously offers an advantage over minute rice in terms of protein and nutrition, which is why I'm interested.

I've read the recipes that at least one of you has posted in other threads and this has inspired me. I think I am going to attempt some sort of taco tasting freezer bag meal with quinoa, ground turkey, cumin, chili powder, and cheese added on top.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

sounds yummy!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Nesco 700 watt. That's what I used for years and it is still going strong. You'll be creating all sorts of neat things for the trail now!

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Rob,
    As the food Mavens stated that once dried quinoa works great. I have been substituting it for rice for the last two years. With your new dehydrator you can make camping meals out of nearly anything you cook.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You will do great, that sounds like a great mix of a recipe :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools