Topic

Cartridge to suit threaded and CampingGaz CV stoves?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cartridge to suit threaded and CampingGaz CV stoves?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

Now that Coleman own Camping Gaz, would it be possible to make a universal cartridge which suits both threaded (Epigas) style stoves and CampingGaz threadless(CV) style stoves?

This would allow the (inferior: *) epigas threaded style stoves to be phased out whilst allowing backwards compatibility with current stoves.
    (* see http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#History)

NB the 1st epi gas stoves sat on top of aerosol style cannisters and needed a huge plastic disc base for stability,

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

The Primus Mimer Due stove can cope with both, so perhaps if new stoves had this sort of connector, the threaded cannisters could be phased out.

I am presuming that Coleman/CampingGaz would let the CV valve be an open standard, so that other cannister manufacturers may use it.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Interesting idea, but how can it be made to work?

Possibly more practical are stoves like the Superfly and a couple of stoves from Primus whose connectors will accept either type of canister.

Despite it's inferiority, we're probably stuck with threaded canisters. Remember Powermax canisters? Superior, but now discontinued. Sigh.

HJ

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

HJ
    If Coleman/Camping Gaz didnt charge other manufacturers for using the CV valve, then that could encourage them to use it, in conjunction with new stoves having a connection that can cope with both threaded(for backwards compatibility) and CV .

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Alan,

Don't confuse the valve with the connector. Pretty much all backpacking canisters use valves made by the Lindal Group (aka "Lindal valves"). It's not the valve so much that varies but the connector. Standard threaded canisters have a Lindal valve with a threaded connector. Camping Gaz canisters have a Lindal valve with a smooth connector.

As far as I know, Camping Gaz doesn't have some kind of control of smooth connectors and other stove manufacturers are free to make their stoves connect to Camping Gaz type canisters.

HJ

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

Sorry, by CV valve I meant the CV connector.

They may well be able to prevent other manufacturers from making gas cannisters using their CV connector (none make any as far as I know).

I saw a Primus Mimer Duo stove : unfortunately its dual connection seems to ditch the Usual CV connections property of detaching on impact (eg lit picnic stove knocked off a table).

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I don't believe that there's anything stopping anyone from making a stove that fits the Camping Gaz CV type connector. I think that it's just a matter of what the market will bear. Most people want a standard threaded connector because that's the most widely used by the greatest number of manufacturers. In Los Angeles at least, if I need a canister I can pick from a bunch of different brands: Primus, Coleman, MSR, Jetboil, Brunton, Snow Peak, Glowmaster, and GasOne. If I go with Camping Gaz, then I've got one and only one provider of canisters.

I think it's market forces that are causing everyone to use threaded connectors not some control of the non-threaded connector by some Camping Gaz patent or something. No one wants to step out on their own and lose big like Coleman did with their Powermax canisters.

HJ

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

So why does the Campingaz Twist-Clik connector still exist?
    Well, try buying anything else in France or some nearby European countries. Chuckle. Not many screw-thread STOVES in Europe.

Cheers

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

So why does the Campingaz Twist-Clik connector still exist?
    Well, try buying anything else in France or some nearby European countries. Chuckle. Not many screw-thread STOVES in Europe.

True, but it seems internationally the 7/16ths UNEF threaded connector is more prevalent.

Whatever the case may be, I'm not aware of any company other than Camping Gaz that has made a stove compatible with the connector on a CV270 or CV470 type canister (unless you count "duo" connector type stoves like the MSR Superfly) whereas there are dozens and dozens of companies that are or have made stoves compatible with a 7/16ths UNEF threaded connector.

HJ

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools