Topic

Chicken wrap lunch recipes:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Chicken wrap lunch recipes:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I added these to my website recently. These are mostly low carb friendly, and can be altered to a person's taste and diet.

Curry Chicken Pitas:

1 7 ounce pouch chicken
    4 packets mayo

In a sandwich bag put:
    2 Tbl dried onion
    1/4 cup dried apples, chopped

In a small bag put:
    1 tsp curry powder
    1/4 tsp ground ginger

Also take:
    2 large pita pockets or large tortillas

Add enough water to cover the onions and apples. Let soak for 10-20 minutes. If any water is left, drain off carefully. Open the chicken packet, add in the mayo to taste, then the seasonings. Toss in the onion and apple. Spoon into the pitas, halved.
    Serves 2.

Harvest Chicken Salad Wraps:

1 7 ounce pouch of chicken

In a sandwich bag:
    2 Tbl dried chopped celery
    1/4 cup dried apples, chopped

Also take:
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    1 Tbl craisins or raisins
    1 packet each salt and pepper
    1 Tbl olive oil
    2 large pitas or tortillas

Cover the celery and apples with water and let sit for 10-20 minutes. Drain any remaining water carefully. Open the chicken pouch and add the vegetables, nuts and craisins and toss. Add in olive oil to texture you like, salt and pepper to taste. Serve in pita halves or as wraps.
    Serves 2.

Razzie chicken:

1-2 tbl of dried cranberries
    1-2 tbl dried apples – plain (fresh is better if you want to pack one in)
    1 tbl walnuts, chopped
    basamalic raspberry dressing to taste, in a single serve pouch

In camp, mix together in chicken pouch. Works great as a filling for 2 tortillas.
    Serves 1-2.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

Sara, I have a a new perspective in food on the trail. I follow your recipes. Keep them coming.
    John

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

mmmm… I may need to try that at work…

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

These look wonderful. I have been using your cookbook and recipes for several years now and all of the ones I have tried have been excellent. Thanks for these new ones. I'll be sure to include them next time out.

Jim Cook
    Spectator

@mrcooktoyou

Locale: Land of Cotton

Just found your web site a few weeks ago. Can't wait to try your recipes on two trips this month. Everything looks very creative and delicious. I'll probably be picking up a book soon too. Thanks for these freebies.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

Sarah,

The recipes are great. Since my partner is way more health conscious than me I can tell her about them and it gives her reassurance I am not just hiking to eat junk food.

Can you put the weights into the recipes to show what the pack weight is? And, caloric output numbers? bd

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I am working on that BD :-)
    I am almost done with book 2's writing, which has a heavy slant on easy yet health conscious recipes. And none with heavily processed foood. I am hoping all recipes will have full nutritional info. I just have to find the time to run all the recipes thru the nutritional software.

The only downside on the wrap recipes is they are a bit heavy (7 ounces for the chicken), but at least once eaten the weight is gone.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

To reduce the weight you can use freeze-dried chicken. It changes the texture a bit but the taste is still really decent and it rehydrates very fast. We use a product from Lyosan (Outdoor Gourmet).

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

On a flight out of Seattle this morning, I was working on recipes I had floating in my files. Got time in balmy Atlanta, so here you go!

Cashew Chicken Wrap:

In a quart freezer bag put:
    3/4 cup dried cabbage
    3/4 cup thinly sliced dried mushrooms
    1/4 cup dried pineapple, preferably unsweetened
    2 Tbl dried onion
    2 Tbl flaked coconut

Also take:
    4 tortillas
    1 1/2 Cups toasted chopped cashews

Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water to the fruit and vegetable mix. Let sit for 10 minutes. When the filling is ready, drain any excess water. Add cashews and chicken. Spread about 1/4 of the mixture on each tortilla, roll up.

Serves 4.
    Notes: This is a large recipe, which makes it great for group outings.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

This is great info for me since (like bd mentioned) I don't want to pay $6+ for an outdoor meal. bd's suggestions on how to boost the caloric intake of the hamburger helper in a review were great. And slightly off topic, bd, thanks for all the economical gear reviews, such as the dropstopper, the rain pants, etc.. I believe it really shows that UL gear and food does not have to be expensive. Keep up the detailed reviews; they are excellent.
    I can not find powdered milk, hamburger helper, water-only mixes such as pancakes etc.. here in Japan so I'm taking two max-legal size empty suitcases back to the US on my next trip in January!

Sandra Warner

@sam-1

Hi Sarah, I made your curry chicken pita recipe. All I can say is yum! yum!, can't wait to try more. I am hiking southern California section of the pct this spring and your recipes are hitting a sweet spot for me. Thank you very much. Sam

Jim Cook
    Spectator

@mrcooktoyou

Locale: Land of Cotton

I tried the Sesame Orange Chicken over Rice and Cindy H's Super Oatmeal this weekend, my first experience with pouch cooking. Both were outstanding. I thought maybe one cup of water was a small bit much for my oatmeal (I pouched for about five minutes) but it thickened more as I ate. Not washing any dishes was also very enjoyable, especially in the cold at night.

I will definitely be spending some Christmas money and ordering the ring-bound book. In the meantime, I will be sampling your Roast Chicken w/ Cranberry Sauce over Mashed Potatoes. Again, thanks for the freebies.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Jim, I have been adding new recipes to the website, and when I have time, I have another 10 or so I'll be adding to the site :-)
    Sarah

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools