Topic

Inov-8 Roclite 315 soles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inov-8 Roclite 315 soles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

With less than 200 miles on them, the soles of my shoes have delaminated in several places. Not only the black vibram but there's a white layer under that that has come loose in a sizable section of one shoe. I can't imagine I'm harder on my shoes than most. Is this normal? Should I contact Inov-8?

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

I think it is not normal. I would contact them…I'd be curious to hear their response. I have the same shoe with similar milage, and after reading your post I checked them and found one spot perhaps 1/4" x 3/8" that could use some shoe goo.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've had a pair for about two years now but with probably the same amount of miles as yours. I've not had any issues with the soles and would recommend contacting them. I'm anxious to hear how they respond as I was looking to get the same style again next time.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Finally got an answer:
    "I apologize but our General Manager has decided that there is nothing we can do for the shoes. He has concluded that the shoes are not defective and that the damage has arisen from wear and tear. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to ask."

My response:
    "So superglue is my only option? Or would some other adhesive work better?

I wouldn't expect that much wear & tear after < 200 miles. While I got these at a good price, I can't justify replacing shoes after essentially just 2 week-long trips.

I'll have to stop recommending at least these Roclites at BackpackingLight.com."

Technically these were outside the warranty as I bought them in April or May of 2010. I only get to do 1 trip a year right now. Here is one of the pics I provided. Does this look like normal wear & tear after <200 miles?Roclite 315 sole delamination

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I don't know how tough you were on them but it looks like the tread is not that worn. They should be fairly tough shoes at that weight. If you feel you did not abuse them then I would consider that a material defect. I have been using Inov-8 shoes for a few years, including the 315 which did not fit me very well and have been happy with them. My 212's are starting to wear out and fall apart some but they are lighter shoes with some abuse on them. Nothing like what your picture shows. Some of the better shoe stores might take better care of you if you where there customer and I am not sure giving up on Inov-8 is the right thing to do if they are a great shoe in other aspects.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I don't see how I could be tougher on them than the average person. I just started BPing 3 years ago and am now 44, 155 lbs, and don't jog or run though I did use them for 8 softball games this summer. Most of the miles have been on trail. The tread itself is not that worn. I certainly don't baby them (walk through creeks, mud, etc) but I don't see what I could do to provoke this either.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i have a pair of terroc 330s, but have only really started using them last and this year …

the soles are delaminating where the shank now protrudes, also the heel has come apart …

i have no idea how many miles … but they have been used ~5 days a week on approaches and descents since may this year and during the summer last year …

i feel the inov rubber on the terrocs is not as durable, perhaps due to its softness … but im guess im getting good use outta em

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I had a pair of Rocklite 295's with the same sole and I completely wore through the rubber with the eva midsole showing with no delaminating. They should not do that.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Well it doesn't sound like you were any harder on the 315's than I am on my 212's. Seems like they are defective. I walk in streams, over talus, bouldering and trails and mine have held up well. The fit, grip and weight are enough to keep me a customer but falling apart is not good.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I've asked for the GM's name and contact info. I'd like to understand how this could be normal wear & tear in his opinion.

Eric,
    Your soles almost look like they been chewed on by a critter! The one in the middle of the sole seems unusual. It does sound like you've gotten a lot of use out of them though.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

GM's response:
    "I am the US General Manager for inov-8. First, let me apologize that you've had an issue with what you believe to be the quality of our shoes. I have visited the blog on which you've posted your correspondence with Tom and have seen the image of the shoe. I have also met with my designer on this issue. He is the lone inov-8 designer in the company's history.

He is in agreement with my assessment that it's your pronation that has caused the premature wear on the medial side and the subsequent delamination of the outsole, and not a manufacturing fault. It's possible that it would help to inspect these shoes in person here in my office.

As an aside, be careful how you use the brand name "vibram" when referring to the outsole of a shoe. Vibram is indeed a registered trademark and brand, and is not a generic name for an outsole. Inov-8 does not outsource the production of our outsoles to Vibram like many other footwear brands do, and consider them a competitor, so we'd prefer the brand was not used to describe our outsoles on these blogs."

My reply:
    "I've never had a pronation issue that I'm aware of though I'm not a foot expert, of course. My feet don't turn in or out and my ankles are straight. I have what seem to be quite normal, middle of the road feet. Of course, I'm not walking on level trails so feet have to compensate for that. I DID notice near the end of my last trip that the pictured shoe started to feel like it was sliding which puzzled me and that is when I took it off to discover that whole rear side of the sole had come loose.

I guess I don't have a problem shipping the shoes to you for inspection. Even if I did have some pronation issue, and I'd guess most people have slight issues they aren't aware of, I'd think such an issue would have to be quite severe to cause such a severe effect in such a short time.

Should I ship them to your attention at the address in your sig?"

William Johnsen
    BPL Member

@sixoclocknews

I have the exact same model and the same thing is happening. They were used ~3-4 weeks (of everyday use) before it happened. I was really surprised as they look fine otherwise and have a lot of mileage left. I was excited about them after everything I've read, but given Innov-8's response to you and the seemingly weak glue I'll probably be looking elsewhere for my next pair of shoes.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I think the inov-8 Roclite soles tend to delaminate.
    I had it happen years ago and moved on to better made shoes.

P1040042.JPG

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

William,
    If you've had them < 1 year, I'd encourage you to contact them as they'd be under warranty. PM if you'd like the email.

I do believe these are a fluke and that Inov-8 honestly believes it's not a defect. While I find their response puzzling, they are being nice and sincere about it unlike some other companies we've seen here. I'll be shipping my shoes to them for further inspection.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Cameron,
    What did you end up with that has same fit, comfort, grip, etc?

I've read of many here that have had some of the pieces of black rubber (what I'd incorrectly been calling vibram) come loose on the edges, which they would glue back on, but nobody until William just now that had the layer under that also come loose though it appears your's may have done that also. Your's don't look very worn either.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I never got more than 150-180 good miles out of a pair.
    These were not that old, but not brand new either.
    I thought they delaminated because I was walking all day on hot black sand.

Nothing has the same characteristics of inov8 shoes. I get by with wider shoes from New Balance with less sticky rubber.

Jim Tressel

@tressel13

Hello all, I saw some of these posts and have a pair of 315's that have treated me very well over the last year and a half. Have some pics, so I figured we could have a little fun…how many miles do you think these 315's have on them? 200? 500? 1000?!315's #1#2#3#4

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

They look a LOT like mine without the delamination issue, but I'm guessing you must have a lot on them or you wouldn't have asked. :) I've also had mine a year and a half.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I am happy to report that after sending in my pair, Inov-8 has sent me a new pair. The soles on the new ones appear to made somewhat different.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools