Topic

Bear hanging from aspen/firs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Bear hanging from aspen/firs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'm curious what type of bear hanging techniques you use below treeline when suitable trees aren't plentiful. I had planned to get an Ursack for my Rockies trip this year, but didn't have the money. As expected it was a challenge to get a nice hang at least 10' up and 5' from a trunk when surrounded by spindly aspen or fir trees. Do you try to use the 2-tree technique, which requires a lot more rope?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Yep I do the two tree method. I have about50 ft. of very thin but strong cord. I forgot the name its old BPL stuff. It only weights about an ounce. The only real problem is that is REALLY hard to pull up a heavy food bag with such a thin rope. If the food is heavy I twist a stick into the end of the rope for a sort of handle so I can grip it better. Of course on my three week Colorado Trail trip I was so tired at night I often didn't bother.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I'm curious what type of bear hanging techniques you use below treeline

I'm curious as to how you manage to hang the bear up? What weight rope do you use?

Cheers

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The two tree, two rope technique will usually give you a good hang when nothing else will. Using the Sawchuk method of clipping the top of the bag to the line will let you pull the bag away from a tree and make a bad hang decent. Aspen branches are so weak, doing multiple hangs might be necessary to not break branches.

An OP sack is nice insurance. Thankfully CO and MT bears haven't been habituated to human food the way Sierra bears have been.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I do have an opsak inside the sil bag. If you did look at the video I did for your contest, you saw I've apparently gotten lucky so far with critters getting to my food. Or the opsak works. :P

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Roger wrote, "I'm curious as to how you manage to hang the bear up?"

About the same way as you would do it for an oversized wombat.

–B.G.–

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I think OP sacks definitely work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools