Topic

Spinnaker guidance needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Spinnaker guidance needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

So I did something today I swore I'd never do, bought some Spinnaker (the .7 oz stuff Goosefeet is blowing out) with the intention of making a flat tarp. The material is 54" wide, and I want a 7' wide tarp, so I'll need to do a seam on the ridgeline.

Will a wide, triple-rolled, flat felled seam sealed under tension be strong enough, or should I laminate the edges before sewing (which sounds like a huge nuisance). I'll be laminating and then sewing tie out reinforcements, but those are small enough I probably won't screw them up too badly.

Thanks.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

With the flat felled seam, you won't have to worry about tensions pulling the seam out from the edges, the edges wont be under load, just the inside stitch lines. Now if there's enough tension, it could theoretically pull gaps in the fabric at that stitch line, but I don't see any need to reinforce the edges. Regardless of what reinforcement you do, there's always going to be one line of stitches on the body of the tarp that is accepting load from the outside edges.

Flat felled is a very strong seam for the lateral stresses of tight pitching. I wouldn't trust anything like a french seam.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Makes sense to me. Thanks Javan.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Np brother, post pics when you're done. ;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools