Topic

Clark Range in Yosemite-5 day solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Clark Range in Yosemite-5 day solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I started a thread here asking for ideas of where to go, so I thought I ought to post a trip report.

After waiting to see if the streams would settle down and the bugs too I hit it just right over an extended Labor Day weekend. I went in and out of Mono Meadow trailhead on the Glacier Point road in Yosemite, Sept 2 to 6, covering 60 miles. About twelve miles a day, which is just right for me, though I did extra the fourth day and had a short day coming out.

Heading up the valley on the first day.
    Heading up the valley

Lower Ottaway Lake
    Lower Ottaway Lake

Looking back at switchbacks up to Red Peak Pass
    Looking back at switchbacks up to Red Peak Pass

Red Peak from the pass
    Red Peak from the pass

Magnificent meadow going toward Post Peak Pass
    Magnificent meadow going toward Post Peak Pass

Out of Yosemite and into Ansel Adams Wilderness
    Out of Yosemite and into Ansel Adams Wilderness

Final stretch going up to Fernandez Pass
    Final stretch going up to Fernandez Pass

Uh, purple flowers (name?)
    Uh, purple flowers (name?)

Last stream before trailhead and out
    Last stream before trailhead and out

The weather was great–just a touch of rain on two afternoons. I slept out under the stars every night, as I usually do. I'm not even very good at setting up my silnylon tarp!

Saw a few people each day. Not too many, but enough for a bit of human contact.

I highly recommend this trip! And again, thank you for the suggestions of where to go next. I'm making a note for future trips.

Hannes Horst

@hochtourist

Hi Doug,

thanks for your beautiful pictures! I had a good view on Clark Range when crossing Blue Lake Pass during my SHR hike. It looked like a very nice destination from there, thus it is really cool to see a recent trip report for that place.

Cheers
    Hannes

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Great pictures Doug!!!! Gotta love ME time.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Great shots, makes me want to hit that area of Yosemite!

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Thanks for the comments! To add a bit more detail…

I had to get wet when crossing three streams. I took off my trail runners and socks and then put my shoes back on without the socks, then hiked that way for an hour or two before adding the socks back in. Most stream crossings had stepping stones or logs across them though.

I ordered a headnet just before I left, having read about Peter's Headnets here on BPL. Of course I knew it wouldn't arrive before I left. The first night I draped a loose piece of white bug netting over my head and read my paperback through it with a headlamp. Not great visibility!

The next night I gave in and used deet after dinner. The following night I went ahead and used deet before I ate, though I hate how oily and dirty it gets my hands. But it worked.

I saw uncountable little squirrels that look like chipmunks, three marmots, one of which hung out on its boulder while we checked each other out for a while, four deer one morning on the trail who took off upslope, two of what I think were eagles (at different times), one carrying something in its talons (breakfast?), and one big black bear…scat.

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

"Uh, purple flowers (name?)"
    I do believe those purple flowers are lupin

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

I really ought to learn a few flowers, trees, and bushy things!

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Did the Clarks a while back. I remember Fernandez Pass was tough. Thanks for posting.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools