Topic

Backpacking Footwear: Toe Shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking Footwear: Toe Shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Glad it was helpful.

I saw in your first post on this thread you mentioned plantar fasciitis.
    Your experience is more support for the theory that a raised heel shortens your tendons causing PF and switching to neutral shoes corrects the imbalance. Thread below from a while back a few of us were talking about it.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51335&skip_to_post=434135#434135

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I still consider myself at a beginner level with minimalist footwear. However, so far, I've learned that I can backpack with Fivefingers and Trailgloves as well as I can with trail runners. Most likely, everyone's experience will be different in varying degrees.

Those posting above about really sore calves:

Learn to relax. My calves used to be really sore for days until I read a tip about relaxing them. My recovery has significantly improved. Try it, you'll like it.

I'm going to post more about my experiences after I consider myself beyond beginner stage. I want to make sure it works : )

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Wow, Clint. That's the best and most balanced/truthful/detailed review of long-distance hiking in VFFs I've ever read. Next time anyone asks about it on the PCT-L (which they do every few weeks), I'm going to point them over to it.

Jake Morrison

@barefootjake

As Modern Humans (generally speaking) we are 'Brain Washed' into thinking that there is a 'Transition Shoe', 'Minimal Shoe', 'Barefoot Boots' and ect. In fast that is all apart of marketing dreamed up and to be a to be absorbed by the General Consumer.

If you would like to 'Transition' take you Shoes off (which is FREE) in a very controlled environment. Then based on soreness, increase by 10% weekly. Almost as simple as that. (since everyone starting point is different. There is no 1 formula)

Then worry about what protection you want to give your feet based on Climate and Terrain you are traveling on.

I know im kinda ranting, but discuss?

John Smith

@crackerjack

Why it obviously is used as a gimmick, I think there are certain shoes you can buy for "transitioning." It could be as simple as just buying a shoe with no ankle support and wearing them as you daily shoes. If your shoe's had always had ankle support before then, this daily wear will obviously help for more demanding situations. You could also buy a shoe with a little more cushion if your feet aren't tough yet. That way you can work on your form instead of focusing on the extreme pain you are causing yourself.

I personally live just a few miles from the beach, so when I was learning years ago I would just drive down there at night and run in the sand. I will recommend anyone transitioning to barefoot, do it on a soft surface. Much more forgiving. If your legs get tired and you start doing heel strikes, you do not want to be on pavement. I will also say, RESEARCH. Most of the people I know that go barefoot transition at too fast of a pace. They jump right into it, start pushing themselves farther and farther, next thing they know they can't run for the next few months because of the stress fracture they just gave themselves.

And one thing I didn't see mentioned here, toe shoes take away a lot of warmth. When I first got mine, this is one thing I had not thought about, but became very apparent on some colder hikes. With your toes being separated, their ability to share heat has just been slashed. Even being in my tent with toe socks it was very apparent the heat my toes were missing out on. Just think of snow gloves vs mittens.

I loved the VFF's, but after two pairs in less then what I believe was at most 5 months, I had to switch. I wore them out way too quickly for the price. Currently wearing Merrell's. I can't find a bad thing to say about them. But, pretty positive my next shoes will be Vivo's, as the want to test out other shoes is too great. And plus TheClymb constantly has those things for like 60-70% off.

But, I will always miss the feel of taking my shoes off and feeling the freedom in my toes I have only experienced with VFF's. The amount that those things open up your toes is awesome.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools