Topic

1 day Presi Traverse – water stops?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 1 day Presi Traverse – water stops?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Hey, I am planning to do the presi in a day and am wondering about water "strategy"

I have a filter and many sources will be raging i'm sure with the amount of rain we've had.

To keep things light i'm wondering about starting off with not too much and filling up once I get over Madison, then filling up again at Mt washington

What would you guys do?

Thank
    Jake

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

When are you planning on doing this? I'd join :-D

Water stops…

I was going to say just tank up at all the huts along the way, but I just realized Madison and Lakes of the Clouds are closed for the season now.

In that case, I'd tank up (drink lots, leave with one liter or so) at Pinkham, Washington, and Mizpah (it's a short detour to mizpah from the crawford path), and bring a handful of aqua mira/micropur tabs for filling at water sources along the way (filter would be fine, too). There won't be so many sources above tree line as there are below, but there should still be plenty flowing.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

+1 on what Ryan says.

I will add that earlier this summer, I stopped at the spring near the Gulfside Trail on the side of Mt Clay. The spring was flowing, but it was hard to get debris-free water from the spring without a bit of effort…

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Hopefully sleeping in Crawford monday night. Driving up early to Appalachia tuesday morning and doing N->S

I don't mind bringing the filter since it's 1lb vs extra liters i don't need to carry. We have had tons of rain so i don't expect sources to be very weak.. my MSR pump only needs a few inches to work so i'm not too worried about that.

looks like filling to capacity 2L camelpak + 16oz bottle after peaking Madison and at Washington to get through the ridges then fill up as needed on the way down should work.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

gahh.. friend is having car troubles and might bail :P booo. Might have to put this off..

have one car.. but the shuttles are weekend only now. Ryan Check you PM's

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools