Topic

MLD Cuben Fiber SUL Solo Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion MLD Cuben Fiber SUL Solo Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=142

anybody have experience with this type of tarp?

I wanted a tarp for when I'm doing overnighters without a bivy. I don't have a bivy, but I also live in SoCal, so I won't be seeing that much prolonged rain. For prolonged rain, I was going to just stick with my larger tarp.

What I'm worried about is that this won't provide any wind protection, since the site says to make it a flatter A frame design.

Should I just get the Grace Solo?
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=132

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I wouldn't feel too good about using that [sul solo tarp] without a bivy. At that width, blowing rain will be a problem and so will large drops of rain that splash under. An extra 1-3oz for a nicely sized tarp would be really nice and versatile, but I also don't hike where you do and you would know your conditions better.

I find my HMG Echo Solo tarp (8'6" long and 7' wide taper to 5' wide) to be about the narrowest tarp that I'd want to be using in the rain. Ideally I'd like another foot of width for difficult conditions if I'm using it with the inner, but it's do-able.

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

Which tarp were you talking about? The sul or grace solo?

in the places I backpack, it doesn't rain too much, and if it does, I would know. If I knew it was going to rain for a longer period of time, I would just take my bigger 8×10 tarp.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Then why are you carrying a tarp in the first place?

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

Just for a bit of warmth, and just in case it rains. When I sleep without a tarp, I feel more cold. Even my golite poncho/tarp helps a bit.

With the larger tarp, it would be for when I know it's going to rain a lot. Ex: I knew it was going to rain a lot when I did a trip at Redwoods. I took my 8×10 there.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yeah, makes sense. However, have you considered a poncho tarp? It might be similar dimensions, and be double use for just in case.

John Chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

I have the golite poncho/tarp. I tried it as well, but I didn't like it in the rain.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

anybody have experience with this type of tarp?

I wanted a tarp for when I'm doing overnighters without a bivy. I don't have a bivy, but I also live in SoCal, so I won't be seeing that much prolonged rain. For prolonged rain, I was going to just stick with my larger tarp.

What I'm worried about is that this won't provide any wind protection, since the site says to make it a flatter A frame design

I do not have that exact tarp but I have a whole bunch like it.

I recently started testing out a 9×6 cuben fiber tent using 0.34 cuben fiber (youtube video) as I already have a few in 0.51 of different sizes and lengths.

To address the issue of rain and wind: Just lower it to the ground. I present this near the end of my video. Just stake the tarp right to the ground and that pretty much solves the rain/wind issue on the sides when you face such issues.

And remember, just about every sleeping bag on the market these days can endure more water than what you will encounter in a SoCal rain storm, so even if you do get rain spray onto your sleeping bag, big whoopie do. That is what DWR and material is for.

The MLD Solo CF tarp is one of the best ones out there. Worth the money if you are looking to save some grams.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I agree with Dan, a tarp this size is best with a bivy. When you are looking at anything 5' X 8' or less, a bivy is a good idea. When you get to the area around 10' X 8' a bivy is not needed. I live in So Cal and we do get some really nasty rain.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools