Topic

MP3 player, for backpacking and running

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MP3 player, for backpacking and running

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I am going to be getting a new mp3 player. I just had an RCA one which died due to being repeatedly soaked by my sweat while running. I'm looking for something small and light (duh.), that is easy enough to use, and has a long battery life (no need for big fancy touch screens that eat power). Cheap is also a plus. Somewhat water resistant is a big plus.

I know some of you listen while on the trail, what;s your player?

the RCA player I had:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rca+mp3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17290877114941315652&sa=X&ei=8fBrTpuCEo2RgQeOorWIBg&ved=0CGMQ8wIwBw
    pretty good, cheap, very light, small, UI wasn't so good, and wasn't very sweat-proof.

Thanks

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Will,

Get yourself an iPod Shuffle, it doesn't have a screen, but it's easy to use, holds 2G worth of file, good battery life, and clips onto running short waistbands without being felt or pulling your shorts down. I think it weighs about 1oz….maybe.

That's what I use for trail running.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I second the shuffle. Probably the best audio for athletes out there. You won't need to look at a screen when running and the controls are easy to use without looking as well. Plus they're pretty cheap.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Sansa Clip+. Cheaper than the Shuffle (even for 4GB). Negligibly larger/heavier. Expandable memory. FM Tuner. Screen.

I went through this exercise a few months ago and could find no real upside to getting a Shuffle. Granted, I didn't have an iTunes account so that also factored into my decision.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

+++++

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

++ on the sansa clip. Been using one for several years for workout/running. Dirt cheap, and great sound if replace the factory earphones with halfway decent earbuds. I have a $10 pair of JBuds that sound great.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I have a Sansa Clip too and am happy with it, but the Coby player looks good for long distance walks since it uses AAA battery. Can anyone recommend other MP3 players that use AAA?? The coby unit may be hard to find. Mike

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

SanDisk Sansa m240 (1 GB) or m250 (2 GB)
    * Lightweight flash memory digital audio player–weighs just 1.5 ounces
    * Microsoft PlaysForSure support for compatibility with wide range of online stores and subscription services
    * Integrated FM radio with 20 presets; built-in microphone and voice recorder