Topic

When to bring rain-pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning When to bring rain-pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I'm heading up to the Desolation Wilderness (Lake Tahoe Sierras) and forecast is calling for 40% of T-Storms both days. I usually don't bring rain pants but every other trip has had clear forecasts.

Typical Clothing:
    Patagonia Wool 2 Zip Neck
    Nylon Hiking Pants – Mountain Hardware
    ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs
    Wright Socks (two pair)
    North Face Diad Jacket
    Eddie Bauer Midweight Baselayer Pants (Microgrid fleece similar to Patagonia R1)
    Wool Buff
    Montbell U.L. Parka

I could bring my REI Taku Pants – but they're quite heavy 25.4oz Manuf. weight. Or I could run around town to find some DriDucks pants somewhere.

I don't mind getting my pants/shoes wet so long as the pants have some time to dry out. I can always retire to the tent with my midweight pants if it gets too cold and still by dry.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

My storm pants weigh 2.5 ounces, so they go on almost every trip. If the weather gets cold or windy or wet, they go on in an instant.

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Depends on how cold it is. If it is cold enough that shorts are too cold and you find yourself wearing pants, you are not going to be happy when they get wet and cold. If you are wearing shorts everywhere, then it's probably not a big deal if they get wet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools