Topic

Ian’s Secure Shoelace Knot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ian’s Secure Shoelace Knot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

For most of my life I have had a chronic problem with my shoelaces coming untied. This was always inconvenient and sometimes unsafe, depending upon the situation.

Since changing to the Ian's Secure Shoelace Knot several years ago I have had no problem with my shoelaces coming untied. Old dogs can learn new tricks! The knot stays secure but unties with a pull of the laces, just like the knot I used for 60+ years.

Here's the knot:

Ian

(I may have posted this before. Couldn't find the post.)

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My wife learned a technique from a French grade-school teacher that is very similar:

First, make the standard two loops from the two sides of the laces. Normally, you would tuck and wrap one loop through the hole you have made by crossing the loops and pull both loops tight to complete the knot. Instead, take the SAME loop you put through the hole and wrap it around AGAIN before pulling it tight to complete the knot. You will wind up with a knot that looks similar to the illustration above. The best part is when you want to untie the shoe, you simply pull both ends (grabbing the plastic ends of the laces) and pull them apart toward the right and left of the shoe. It won't come untied until you pull it apart this way.

I don't know how much time I've saved using this with my kids, although this morning my 9-year old daughter was about to walk away with the most-pathetic looking knot I've seen and she was totally fine with it.

Edit: after rereading your post, I think it's the same knot!

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I'd try it but my current shoes don't have laces! Drawstring shock-cord and cordlock ftw!

BM

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I felt like a toddler learning to tie my shoes. What a great knot!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Timothy,

I also felt like a toddler learning to tie my shoes. Took me several months to really "own" the new knot.

I blame my mother for not showing me the best knot in the first place. Didn't she bother to google the subject before simply passing on what her parents taught her?

Daryl

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Steven,

So the new knot's not new.

Daryl

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Daryl,

It's not like I knew the new knot was not new. : )

Edit: 10x fast, please

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I think it's a variant on the surgeon's knot. It works well on slippery laces, like 550 cord i had to replace my bootlaces with once…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools