Topic

Pole end cup stabiliser – thing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pole end cup stabiliser – thing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James Cavan

@jamescavan

Locale: UK

I'm moving towards flat tarp camping but don't use trekking poles so I'm probably going to put something together using the lighter easton poles (0.340) from quest outfitters.

So these poles have quite a small diameter and on less than firm ground or snow I would be concerned about using them due to them sinking or moving around. Here's a model of a potential solution whipped up in sketchup.

It is compromised of a ball and socket type joint the socket being mounted on a peg type thing and the end of a pole inserted into the ball.

Pole end thing

The wider of the two has incorporated a snow basket type of platform that could be used on softer surfaces to spread the load of the pole.

pole on a slant

Demonstrating a possible use for stabilising angled poles.

bottom

A large surface area on the spike (?) would improve its stability.

And finally a few ideas demonstrating how it would hopefully fit together or could be used for multiple poles.

hahah

I hope I have described that clearly enough ..

So is there really a need for something like this? Have I over engineered a soloution?

Any suggestions for improvement would be gratefully recieved.

Oh and for actually making a sample to see if it works I will have access to a 3D printer from about October.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Pretty cool sketches. Looks like it could work.

I tend to go for pre-existing items for pole bottoms, however. Nylon barbed plumbing fittings and plastic champagne corks come to mind.

With the downward pressure of the tarp and guylines I haven't had a problem with the poles moving laterally at the bottom. So I'm not sure the protruding bottom on your drawing is needed. The shape of the bottom would also tend to hold on to dirt and mud.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools