Topic

I Got Banned

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I got banned from The Lightweight Backpacker for talking about bodily functions from the effects of using Aqua Mira. All I mentioned was bad gas and diaherria. Go figure. Ryan please don't ban me for mentioning those two….please!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

oh brother – what next? I mean we all get bad gas from time to time. I won't get offended if you tell me Aqua Mira gives you the farts.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Don't feel too bad. Several people were banned in 2004 from a (then popular) yahoo group merely for speaking their mind on a separate forum. The moderators saw what they said on another forum and then banned them from their own forum. It's all documented online. The posts are still there. As for me, I was banned from that same website in 2003 for joking around. I may have deserved it, but a second chance would have been nice. Since those times, most of the good posters are gone and the monthly traffic has dwindled to about a days worth of this sites traffic.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

In another post I did on BPL about a cup, I mentioned it had a 's*crew (without the "*") cap' and they changed it to *BEEP* ! ! !

So to avoid the word s*crew I should have described the cap as a ' plastic molded threaded sealing device applied in a clockwise rotating action '.

S*crew that !

PS. Don't mention Uranus either !

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Ian, that's funny, but I'm sorry about that…our profanity filter is not so…intelligent…It's automatic, a human did not actually take the time to change your post to *BEEP*…!

But it's important, for me, to have it in place because I don't want to discourage the parents of Scouts and other youth groups from viewing the forums here.

KEN: Some hikers might consider bad (especially LOUD) gas a beneficial side effect, if for nothing but its entertainment value. I mean, we all fart, right? Laurie, you fart don't you? Sure she does. All farters are welcome here.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What you missed is that Ken mentioned bad gas. In a tent, is there ever any such thing as GOOD gas?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Ian, i recently had the same thing happen, so the solution was simply to use the word "screwtop" or anything the fits. When included as part of a larger word, the filters are happy. The solution was Fartastic!

EDIT
    —-
    You know, i never use that word. My wife doesn't like it.

True story: my son learned to talk at a very early age (words like "apple", though with more of a double 'b' sound, before 12mos and talking full sentences at 18mos). We taught him the word "flatulate". So here we are at my parents home for some holiday dinner. There he is in his little booster seat, using utensils on his own at a holiday meal and not being fed. First he separates all of the food items into little groups not touching one another and then proceeds to eat each group completely before going on to the next group (can you guess where those genes came from!!). A bit later, he 'breaks wind' and this 20month (or 21mo, i'm forgetting) old kid says "Oops, i flatulated badly". My father almost chokes and says "What did the kid say?!!!". My mother, like most Jewish mothers/grandmothers, exclaims with a proud look on her smiling face, "Oh, he's so smart!". I think one has to have some Jewish ancestry to really appreciate my mother's stereotypical response. Anyways, a flatulalistic tale, to be sure.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

That is why no one except my wife will share a tent with me. My gas problems at altitude is infamous.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

My roommate 'flatulates' in his sleep, though its not nearly as rank as when he does it on purpose. I'm sure that's not very appropriate but I find it a little humorous. He also yells at me in his sleep and it can even be a little vulgar at times, but still funny.

Anyway, there's just something about being on the trail that hits my system hard. Everything smells a little worse on the trail for me, whether it be bodily functions or just me in general. Using a tarp dissipates the odors much better than my tent ever did though and I appreciate that.

Adam

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

High-Altitude Flatus Expulsion (HAFE)

High-altitude flatus expulsion (HAFE) is the spontaneous and unwelcome passage of increased quantities of rectal gas noted at high altitude. It may become an embarrassment but is of no true medical concern. Avoid foods such as chili and beans that are known to induce flatulence at low altitudes, and show consideration for other members of the party in sleeping arrangements. If stricken, a traveler may benefit from chewable tablets or simethicone (Mylicon 80 milligrams) or simethicone 80 milligrams with activated charcoal 250 milligrams (Flatulex tablets) once or twice a day. Charcoal Plus is another simethicone-activated charcoal preparation.

From Medicine For the Outdoors by Paul S. Auerbach, M.D. © 1999 by Paul S. Auerbach, M.D.; electronic rights by The Lyons Press

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

True confession time…I have to carry Gas-X or similar product in my kit. At least if I want others to hike with me. Walking seems to have some unintended consequences.

Jon Priest

@jwetzelp

Locale: Central Arkansas

I utilize my flatulence on the trail for true UL purposes. Rather than carrying extra items that may provide extra warmth (i.e., an extra layer of clothing, a canister heater, etc.), I simply warm myself "dutch oven" style in my sleeping bag. I guess it's a good thing nobody ever shares a shelter with me or borrows my sleeping bag.

Actually, there is a fella I hike with that actually has a scale of flatulence magnitude named after him. Whenever someone in the group loses their manners, we rate it on the Kiilsgaard scale. By the way, 1 Kiilsgaard = 4.81 pascals (sp?), which is how much pressure the human body can hold before "relieving" some. Robert averages ~ 4-5 Kiilsgaards per calamitous occurrence.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Last summer I had the (dubious) privilege of walking for about six hours behind this group of Japanese backpacking gentlemen, all of whom had generously partaken of the drink and numerous quantities of beans the night before. There I was attempting to enjoy the peace and quiet of the ridges, while occasionally halting for long moments to gaze at birds in the valley below, all while the "music" of my fellow walkers punctuated the tranquility with unlikely toots and whistles. When I just couldn't take it any more I let the group amble on ahead. Later that afternoon, as I was climbing the last hard slope of the day, I heard voices way above me, followed by three, distinct variations of Pachelbel's Canon… the final note a deep base that reverberated throughout the valley. I guess some ultralight acolytes think of ingenius alternatives to carrying around Alp Horns… certainly the effect was quite sonorous!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

> High-Altitude Flatus Expulsion (HAFE)

That sounds quite similar to a disease that my friends and I became aware of at around 8,000' know and HAMB or commonly referred to as High Altitude Mountain Butt. I think it would be safe to assume that both have similar origins.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Oh, so that was what my hiking partner must have had. He use to blame it on Rocky Mountain Barking Tree Spiders.

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

If not for farts, how else would my nephews learn to pull my finger. Hours of entertainment for the young ones around the camp fire.

WARNING: Use caution around open flames, the life you save may be your own.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thread hijacking at it's most foul! I really shouldn't add to this, but… Nothing makes the miles fly by faster than being self propelled. Also, I can think of nothing beside down that has done more for sleeping bag loft.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

well I am always getting grief from hikers behind me….the reason? My jet propulsion gas explosions. They smell bad and give me rocket fuel to head up the trail!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Ryan wrote "I mean, we all fart, right? Laurie, you fart don't you? Sure she does. All farters are welcome here."

Well I won't admit to it usually. However – funny farting story. We were at dinner with one of my clients and his wife had made a mushroom chicken dish. My darling 5 year old boy made an announcement while she was dishing out my portion. "Oh oh! Mushrooms make my Mom get the farts!"

I actually bought this for my nephews this Christmas…

http://www.grandrivertoys.com/Pages/products/Fart_Fast_n_Flatulent_Guff_Game.htm

just to prove that I take farting in stride – lol.

actually I am very fortunate that I don't have farting issues on a hiking trip any worse than at home – we normally eat a ton of beans and legumes so my system is quite used to the food we take backpacking… mushrooms are the exception. I know TMI!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

One word – BEANO

One comment – this thread stinks!

HYOH, PYOG

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Once on a Canadian canoe trip on the Magnetawan River I was ill the last night. Of course it was a rainy night and we were all confined to our tents. I had brought my 3-man dome tent and shared it with 2 Toronto EMT's (I was the only American on the trip.)
    WELL…that night I had the runs and then, for the rest of the night, BAD gas. LOTS of bad gas…
    My tentmates told my buddy "Never again." would they share a tent with me. Geeze oh man, can't they take a joke?
    Seriously, I felt sorry for them. That was the ripest flatulence I'd ever had and they were forced to endure it.

Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

My mother is a seagull, so I don't fart at all, and can't eat tums. Anyway, just got banned for selling too much stuff over there and not posting on other topics. Oh well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools