Topic

TRT Bear Canisters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning TRT Bear Canisters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Lundemo
    Spectator

@jibbs

Locale: Nevada

I can't find any information on the TRT website specifying which bear canisters are allowed or not. I was thinking of buying an Ursack and I think it'd be safe to carry one along the TRT? Anyone have any other information on which is ok?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I am pretty certain there are no canister requirements on any part of the TRT. But to be certain, you could contact the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit of the forest service, or the various separate National Forests – Eldorado, Tahoe, and Humboldt-Toiyabe.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Bear canisters are NOT (yet) required on the TRT – unless you go on one of their guided thru-hikes.

They are however recommended. I am informed that they will soon be required in the Desolation Wilderness and one other TRT wilderness area.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

They are not required but the backcountry office in South Lake recommends them. They are free to use with a deposit when you pick up your permit. I sure hope they don't make them a requirement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools