Topic

Help me choose a bike.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Help me choose a bike.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I know nothing about bikes and I haven't ridden in years but now I have the itch to buy a bike. I'm thinking I want a road bike but am not totally opposed to a MTB. My budget is small like $150. I have found an 80s takara 10 speed on craigslist that seems nice.

The last bike I had was also my first multispeed bike a diamondback MTB. I think it was 250 new in 99 or so. I hated it. I'm pretty sure it was just a cheap pos.

Mainly I want to ride around the neighborhood and on a paved bike trail we have here. That's why I'm thinking a road bike. I MAY get into bike touring after I'm in better shape. I don't have any interest in actual mountain biking at this point.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Watch Craigslist. Good like on that price though, but there are a lot of lightly used 25 year old bikes out there.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Depending on the shape you are in you might consider starting out with a hybrid bike they are a little easier riding position than most mt or road bikes

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

+1 on Mark's observation that a hybrid might be most comfortable…a road bike with drop bars in particular can be a challange.

Don't buy anything that needs much work or parts unless you KNOW what the bottom line will be.

Don't spend a lot (like the whole $150) until you get a feel for how much you enjoy riding…if you buy at a good price you'll be able to get your $ back out if you decide to get something nicer.

DO get something that fits, which is partly theoretical and partly subjective…theory will get you close, but if a bike that is "just your size" feels cramped or vast it's best to pass on it.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Thanks I'll look into hybrids. What is the difference between a hybrid and a MTB other than tires and gearing?

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

A hybrid has a more upright geometry, a little more heel clearance,possibly come with rack mounts, and less aggressive head tube angle [not as "twitchy"] than a mtn bike.Most mountain bikes are sized to accomodate a suspension fork of 80 to 150mm.The fork adds significantly to the cost of the overall bike and if the price is cheap so is the fork which doesn't matter much for paved riding. A lot of folks like riding mtn. bikes because of the geometry and more upright seating [over a road bike] but change to smooth tires in the 26" x 1.5" size for around $15 each.
    The most critical issue is shifter function on a used bike after structual integrity of the frame,even if the shifters work fine plan on putting a new chain and cables in the near future.
    Police auctions and thrift stores are another place bikes can be had pretty cheap, take a cycling buddy with you so you get an understanding of what is available.
    Good luck and let us know what you get.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Thanks for tge reply. I think I've decided to get a MTB and some road tires already. The more I think about it that's the right choice. There are MTB trails close that I could use if I get the notion. I think a MTB will be the most versatile.

if I come across a hybrid I may buy it but they seem to be fetching a premium on craigslist. Don't even get me started on road bikes on CL people think they are made of gold. I mean 300$ for a 30 year old tiwanese bike give me a break.

I'm gonna check out some thrift stores and pawn shops this Saturday.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Found a 99 specialized rockhopper on CL for $100 in my size. Is this a good buy?

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Depending on it's condition…maybe. Have you looked it over? If the seller claims it's perfect or darn near, it's probably worth the time to check out.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

1999… probably not if its got an aluminum frame and it's been used consistently with. Aluminum frames start to go at the ten year mark, so the term I've heard in bicycle maintainence courses has been "catastrophic failure". Steel frames might last quite a bit longer.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Yes! Specialized Rockhoppers in 1999 were made out of quality steel in america with quality part still. I had a 97 rockhopper and has been one of my favorite bikes ever.

Now since it is only $100 you still have money left over, take it too a shop, get it adjusted, like maybe you want a shorter or longer stem for your body type. Also i would buy a new set of tires with less tread on them for more city/touring riding. Those fat tires will cut your speed in half on pavement.

I would totally get the bike, a steal really considering the steel and components.

J

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Hey – If it is Orange and Black purchased at the off ramp mine was stolen about 6 months ago. IT is an $800 bike and at $100 the person selling it is an idiot! Especially since mine was just gone through a month before. IT is/was a beautiful bike!

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Ended up buying a trek multitrack 750. The specalized was sold when I got there. The trek is a hybrid with 700c wheels. I rode it and it rode so sweet I just bought it. Its in really good shape and goes alot faster on pavement than the MTBs I looked at.

I got it for $100 maybe a little high but I really like it. And it leaves me with some cash left over.

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Sweet. You'll like it I'm sure as an all around bike…the range of tires available in 700C will let you do about anything on the Trek as it has plenty of clearance if you want to mount proper touring or cross tires. Great buy.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Thought I'd update on how it is going.

I love this bike. It's fast much faster than the MTB I had years ago. I am having problems choosing gears but I'm getting it. Remember this is pretty much my first multispeed bike. It's rugged enough to jump curbs and cut across grass and gravel but I can still go 25+ mph.

Biking is hard. At first I was done at the 3 mile mark. I've been building up and rode 10 miles in less than an hour wednsday. I hope to be up to 20 a day soon. Either way I'm having fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools