Topic

Pre-Planning, Pictured Rocks in Michigan UP.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Pre-Planning, Pictured Rocks in Michigan UP.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Schill

@aschill

Well,

It seems I am going to be able to squeeze in an extended weekend trip (Arrive Thursday Morning, leave Sunday) in Pictured Rocks National Seashore in the beginning on October.

I've heard really great things about Fall in the Michigan UP.

– Whats the temperature and weather like for October?
    – Are there any car ferrying services to either transport our car to the end or transport us to our car?
    – What are the camp sites like? any particular place I should go to? or avoid?
    – Based on my quick research, it looks like there is a main trail that runs the whole distance, or around 40 miles.

Sorry, I have just started researching it and have only read a few trip reports that I have found on Google. Any and all information would be very helpful.

Thanks!

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Andy Schill

@aschill

Thanks Rog,

Is the main trail that everyone takes just the North Country Trail?

I will look into the transportation.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Andy,
    There are two shuttle options. One is Altran, the public transportation Rog was referring to. The second is Trailspotters, a privately run service. You can find info for both online.

The North Country Trail runs the length of Pictured Rocks, with small side trails at various points to scenic waterfalls, shipwrecks, etc. Maps available online are all you need. It would be hard to get lost in this area.

Here is a link to some recent pictures. The area is well worth the trip.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48021

Have fun,
    Ike

Andy Schill

@aschill

Thanks for the help Ike. I remember reading your report back when you posted it, I hope my trip ends up as well as yours.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

In regard to your other questions, I'd plan on daytime temps in the 40s to 60s, nighttime between 25-35F. Snow is possible.

You must register for and stay at specific campsites, but these are rustic and generally have well spaced sites. I would stay away from the ones that have drive-in camping available if possible (nicer amenities at these, but more people).

All have poles for bear bagging or lockers. Water and rustic privies are available at many. I don't think I had to purify water at all during that stretch of my trip.

Some allow fires and others (mosquito and chapel beach) don't. This info will be available when you register for specific sites.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools