Topic

water treatment…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique water treatment…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

http://www.nptrail.org/uploads/GiardiaMyth-Buster.pdf

This is the most interesting article I have read recently about it. I just drank from a spring above 3000 ft in the Catskills a few weeks ago. First time untreated thanks to the rules from Mike C! new book. So far so good.

I am not ready to throw away my water treatment tabs yet but I am thinking about exploring some more.

If you strongly disagree please post a source. Otherwise you might just be part of the hype.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

I wish I knew how many gallons of untreated water I've drank over 30 years and never got sick. I find myself treating now mostly because of my 5 yr old son. I don't know why, I guess because everyone else does.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Drinking untreated water is like riding through stop signs on a bicycle.

Nothing bad hardly ever happens.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

"Drinking untreated water is like riding through stop signs on a bicycle.

Nothing bad hardly ever happens."

LOL! How true! But when it does happen, oh my!!!!!

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I don't usually treat my water. I do carry aqua Mira drops but rarely use them. If I go with a group of 3 or more in an area like Grayson highlands VA that has livestock we will share a filter. I have never been sick and have never heard of anyone getting sick.

That said the plural of anecdote is not data so YMMV.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Maybe you should throw away the treatment tabs and get a filter instead? ;-)

Here's one thing which could happen while riding through the stop sign:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52578&disable_pagination=1

I've drunk untreated water from streams, and I'll continue to do so from springs and high altitude streams.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

wrong post, sorry

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I've done the same, though now I have an in line filter so don't have to think about it, but it's more so I also don't have to drink any silt either and I don't have to worry about water from non-stream sources (ie standing water and the like).

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

There is now a lot of contamination of water in the areas flooded by Hurricane Irene and subsequent storms. We own land on Batavia Kill near Windham and Prattsville in Greene County, NY. Normally this is safe to drink, but raw sewage, oil, gasoline and other contaminants were swept into the stream. I've seen one picture that shows the house and foundation and most of a yard washed away; this includes the whole septic system except the tank. I've also seen pictures of roads washed away leaving raw sewage flowing into a stream from a broken pipe. NY and VT are recommending that wells be disinfected in the flood areas. So, even if you believe that you don't normally need to treat water, in the Catskills and Vermont I'd say treat even at 3000'. If wells are contaminated you have to wonder whether springs at some distance from the contamination sources could be contaminated, since they are presumably drawing from the same aquifer.

I wouldn't drink even treated water from lower elevation streams in Catskills, ADK or Vermont until any contamination has washed out; I have no idea how long that takes.

The article you site shows measurements at the outlets of large reservoirs. My recollection is that this is the safest place to draw water — the water leaving has been disinfected by UV from sunlight and any contaminants are very diluted. Streams and springs might have a very different result.

Bacteria are probably a more likely cause of illness than Giardia (no references for this).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I posted something like this on BushcraftUSA. I got almost the complete opposite replies. The thread got pretty big, an interesting read on a lot of different perspectives.
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43010

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've decided I'll go back to not treating again like I used to. The water is pretty darn clean in my wilderness areas. I'll still carry the aquamira for those times when it seems needed or if I'm with someone who lets their dog trample the only water source we all must share.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools