Topic

Tarptent Moment versus Zpacks Hexamid Solo-Plus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Moment versus Zpacks Hexamid Solo-Plus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

"As you can see the Moment does set up as a tent and the Hexamid as a tarp"
    How? They both look fully enclosed to me. By the way, that's the Hexamid Twin, not the Solo-Plus. A bit like posting a pic of the Rainbow and talking about the Moment?
    I still don't get it about the poles. The MLD Duomid sets up with an unshaped, non-dedicated pole. As just the fly, I can see the argument that it is a tarp (lack of bug protection). Add the solo or duo inner though, and in what way is it not a tent? Plenty of space and very strong in the wind (according to everything I've read) in spite of the poles. And there are plenty of "tents" with shaped, dedicated poles that are cramped and won't stand up to a lot of wind.
    I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the difference between a tent and a tarp is in the amount of coverage they can give against the elements, i.e. how much they can be closed down (+ perhaps bug protection). The Hexamid can be pitched down to the ground (obviously with increased condensation) to keep the rain out, if you choose to. From Franco's pics, there seems to be little difference in how enclosed the 2 different tents are. One may be stronger in wind than the other, but for me that isn't necessarily the difference between a tent and a tarp.
    I don't own either tent (though I hope to soon), but I think the tent/tarp difference is a red herring. (However, my posting is sincere; I am genuinely interested in why you put them in different categories). They both seem to be great tents that can close up against the rain (like a tent) but open up to views and ventilation (like a tarp), although they do it in different ways with different advantages and disadvantages (as other posters have noted).

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

I can see your confusion. The distinction between a tent and a tarp has become blurred, as is the case with the Hexamids and Tarptents. Let's just call them shelters, and move on.

I think the Moment and Hexmid Solo-Plus are both great lightweight shelters. I have the Tarptent Double Rainbow, and have been eyeing the Hexamid Solo-Plus.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

tarp vs tent.

For me, it's more about the guylines and the netting.

I've never actually used a tarp, but when sleeping in the hexamid it certainly feels like what I'd imagine sleeping under a tarp would be like. The noseeum netting while keeping it enclosed like a tent subjectively "feels" like nothing is there and I'm on the ground. I quite like it. The cuben is pretty see through as well, in a good way.

I've never slept in a moment, but I have a TT Double Rainbow. Though it can get quite breezy, as opposed to my buddy's 9 lb double wall North Face (super comfy, like sleeping in my living room), the DB feels like a tent. The set-up, pole, staking it out, etc.

And under most windy conditions that "generally" will face 3 season campers, the hexamid is solid. I don't usually camp in hurricane force winds, but if I happen to be caught in such a situation, I'd be equally sketched out in either tents under discussion. Kind of a moot point.

I also survived this night quite comfortably. That's all night early season Pacific Northwest snow (heavy, but otherwise calm night):

nt

And here's a recent photo of one with a decent pitch with the 1.3 oz pole and optional door folded down.. got pretty windy that night:

nt

The cuben floor from Zpacks made the tent a keeper for me. Being fastidious and kind of a nancy about things, it was the clincher.

Also, I'm a huge Valesko cheerleader. Dude's a joy to deal with. I wish I could buy everything I need from the guy just because of his customer service. I always look over his offerings first when the gear itch hits me. I know from experience, once I own (not even necessarily buying directly from him) one of is products, I'll be taken care of.

Having said that, when I think of other tents, the moment is the first thing that comes to mind. I'm pretty happy with my decision to go with the Hexamid (solo) and Double Rainbow (solo luxury, plus one).

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

Is there anymore info about the new freestanding from Zpacks? I am interested in getting a new tent but really want to know more about price and release date first.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Joe is always happy to answer questions [email protected]

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Looks like Joe dumped all fabrics except for Cuben, so it should be priced at $300 or more..just guessing.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

What is this about a freestanding Zpacks cuben shelter?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

joseph kohn

@joeiss

I just received my Hexamid Solo-Plus and Hexanet Solo-Plus from Joe at Zpacks. I love them. I told Joe I like everything about the tarp except having to crawl into it. At my age i want to enter bottom first. I asked if he could add a zipper for me. He said not a problem and added a waterproof zipper. It added a little over an oz. I now can get in and out easily and i get the added advantage of an open side for nights with good weather. Thanks Joehexamid with beak and closed zipperhexamid with beak rolled up and zipper open

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

If you want to see 3 videos of the Zpacks in action, Stick has some good videos on his blog along with his trials to stop a couple of leaks after seam sealing.

http://sticksblog.com/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Condensation was a big issue with the Moment and as much as I appreciated the simplicity and ease of set-up i sold it. My Tyvek Sublite has been my go- to tent for several years as it handles condensation very well. The contrail produced very little condensation and have always been sorry I sold it.

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools