Topic

Flying with Tenkara

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Flying with Tenkara

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Is it possible to fly with a tenkara fly rod in your carry on? What about flies? etc…

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Fish hooks are a well known weapon of mass destruction, the rod sections can be used as stabbing weapons, the rod tube makes a great club, and worst of all, the twisted horsehair line makes a vicious garrote! You'll never make it past security! Put all those nasty weapons in a check-through bag!

:D

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I would think you could. I've often seen anglers with fly rods carry them on. As long as they are not in their original metal tubes (the equivalent of baseball bats) they seem to be allowed. Not sure about flies and related gear; once, years ago, I got nicked trying to carry my fly fishing necklace (with nippers and forceps) in hand luggage, but in those days you couldn't carry nail clippers either. Try calling an airline to check.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Generally no problem flying with rods and reels as carry-on, even in their aluminum rod cases. I've done this many times over the last 5 years (carriers: Delta, Alaska Airlines)without a problem, as have many of my friends. Never tried to take flies though. I agree that this would not go well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools