Topic

Mistaken for Strangers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Mistaken for Strangers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Bozzell

@rybozz

Locale: Southwest

Finally got to read your account of the Pecos. I'm dying to get out there.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Ryan,

Yes sir, we need to put something together this summer for sure, perhaps the Skyline Trail?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Eugene,
    I somehow missed this on the first go-around. Simply a fantastic report and stunning photos. I'm putting together a trip report myself right now, and I must say that your photographic capabilities have taught me that I am not nearly as good of a photographer as you, and that a better camera is in store for me.

Wonderful job!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Thank you very much for the kind words Travis. I'm looking forward to what you put together.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

I missed this article when it was first posted too. This is by far the best trip report I've ever seen, and you did a fantastic job with the video and the D7000; DSLRs are not the easiest tool to get smooth, properly focused video out of. I'm eager to see the next generation of these videos with something like the Sony NEX-7 or the Canon G 1X where this incredible level of quality can fit into an ultralight baseweight.

Great job.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

All: if anyone wants to hit the skyline trail over Memorial Day, I have a good buffer of days off on either side of the holiday.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Not sure how I missed this trip report until just now. Great work, and even better photography.

A couple questions, if you don't mind: what lens did you use for your photos? As far as I can tell it's an ultrawide zoom of some sort (maybe a 16-35mm f/2.8?). Regarding the dynamic range pop of the landscapes – is that the result of a polarizer/graduated ND filter or maybe a color filter done in post (perhaps a combination of all 3)?

Also, did you bring a tripod for the long exposures? I ask because I opt to use natural features on the trail as support in place of a tripod. It's hardly ideal, but better than lugging my tripod around in the backcountry (despite my current tripod being of carbon fiber and magnesium construction, it still weighs 4lbs w/ head and never seems to make it past the trailhead). Living as both a photographer and an ultralight backpacker, I've gotten used to the two identities being constantly at odds, but I love hearing about how others manage to make it work for them.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Thanks Joseph.

Yes, the landscapes were shot with a Nikon 10-24mm 3.5-4.5, and the rest of the photographs were shot with a 35 f1.8. I had a UV filter mounted on both lenses.

Most of the photographs were shot hand held, a few, particularly the photo of Pecos Falls was taken while mounted on a Gorilla pod SLR tripod balanced on a rock in the river.

This combination of lenses covered the really wide end well and low light situations and portraits with the 35.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I'm feeling a slight bit of the "winter" blues this evening, and badly desire to get out for a few days of backpacking in the mountains. Don't see that happening soon. Nothing like nostalgia and revisiting some old memories of a past trip to lift the spirit.

How lame is it to reread your own buried article and bump it? LAAAAAAME.

I can't wait to get out and hike with these guys again in 2013.

Round 3 fellas?

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools