Topic

Work In Progress – Pitch in please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Work In Progress – Pitch in please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben Franklin

@brokeenthusiast

I'm starting to get more serious about this. Looking to some what copy Mike at http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/2011/07/video-tutorials.html

ttp://www.geargrams.com/list?id=4415

Luckily for me I never had a ton of gear, we always used what we had so I'm taking to the lightweight backpacking very well. I tried to get back into backpacking and started getting nice pieces of gear until I realized I didn't want all the bells and whistles because it kept adding weight and cost. I recently sold my GG meridian Vapor pack and am going to use an old school bag until I get all of my gear together and decide on the right pack for me. Currently I am looking at the ULA CTD, GoLite Peak, and MLD Burn. Below are the details. h
    Shelter

I have started making a gear list, I am a hammock camper and that gear is set. I will be lightening it up from the original straps to whoopie slings which will shed 5.64 oz.

Cooking

In addition to my alcohol stove I have a sweedish pot and bushbuddy. Since I am trying to go lighter I will leave those out. I now need smaller a pot and lid for the alcohol stove. Oh – anyone know where to find that hot sauce dropper?

Already using aquamira drops

I think I can lose some weight by switching from gatorade bottles to cheap 1L water bottles.

Clothing

For hiking socks I have both smartwool Ph.D and some heavier smartwool socks. I have just about worn through them and will need replacements soon, any recommendations?

Shirt – For warm weather I found this Mountain Hardware shirt at a goodwill for $3.
    mtnhdwr

Wish I could get some more, it wicks sweat away great and is not hot in the sun like other synthetic shirts. For cold weather I throw on a Under Armour cold gear long sleeve and a Marmot windstopper jacket over it. I use Dri Ducks for rain gear and a golite windshirt. I would like to get a Montbell UL Thermawrap to double as sleeping insulation

Shoes – For warmer weather I am going to pick up some trail runners – New Balance minimus

Shorts/Pants – Usually patagonia standup shorts if hiking/climbing. If going to a place with water I wear patagonia baggies so I can jump in. Dont have any hiking pants, use carharts sometimes…I know cotton kills

Going to copy his "dinky stuff" and med kit since I dont have that stuff together.

I guess my main needs are finding necessary clothing and seeing what my weight would be then. Then grab a good pack. I'd like the opinion of the pro's on here! Thanks

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Thanks for the shout out for those videos.

Hey – my advice, create a proper spread-sheet rather than just listing a hand full of items randomly. This will benefit you enormously.

Mike C!

Ben Franklin

@brokeenthusiast

Will do Mike, the gear grams link was just me compiling what i currently have and viewing the weights of the areas of gear. Is that not the same as the spread sheet you have?

ttp://www.geargrams.com/list?id=4415

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools