Topic

6.6oz cook system with water bottle for under $20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 6.6oz cook system with water bottle for under $20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

I'm sure most on this site will not like this system. However I'm posting it for those that will and maybe it will give others some ideas. Please feel free to tear it to shreds. I love all feedback positive or negative.

Here is the entire setup. It weighs in @ 6.6oz. This includes the 1.1oz waterbottle/pot.
    entire system

Next is the water bottle slash water boiling pot. It is a Mega Monster energy drink can with a 25oz capacity. It weighs 1.1oz and is resealible. It boils water very nicely. It rests very securely on top of the bottom of a normal coke can because the bottom of this can is larger in diameter. So it can be used with any standard Pepsi style stove with side jets.
    boiling pot/ water bottle

The stove is simply one of these same cans cut down. The one I made holds 4oz of Alcohol and with the resealible top you do not have to carry a seperate fuel bottle somewhat like a Trangia. To make the stove operate I cut the bottom off of a normal 12oz can and cut out the center and added holes. By setting this on top of the stove/fuel bottle and then setting the 24oz bottle on top this becomes a pressurized stove.
    stove1
    stove top
    stove2
    stove with bottle pot

Next is the stove storage container/pot/coffee mug with coozie.
    This is nothing more than a Gatorade container that you can get at Wal-mart with enough powder to make 2gallons of Gatorade. Its about $5. It holds 24oz of liquid. The lid screws on and is water tight. It does not grow soft or lose its shape with boiling water poured into it. I use this for coffee, oatmeal, and as pictured below you can pour your Mountain House meal into it,add boiling water and screw on the lid and it will hydrate inside and still be very hot.(pic below is Mtn House Beef Stew 2serving).
    I took a sharpie and put lines on the outside at 8oz and 16oz which can be seen from the inside. 24oz is just below the rim. This is important for me as there is no way to identify 2cups on the Monster can.
    pot and coozie
    pot with outside lines
    view of lines inside
    hydrated mtn house beef stew

Here is a photo of everything inside except the hand towel. With everything in there, there is still room for more.
    pot loaded

And finally everything in the Gatorade pot with Monster water bottle/pot on top on the scales weighing total of 6.6oz.
    weighing in

Individual weights.
    Monster can- 1.1oz 32grams
    Stove- .9oz 26grams
    Gatorade pot-1.7oz 49grams
    Coozie- .7oz 19grams
    Windscreen- .7oz 19grams

I use a Steripen so I also carry a 1L Nalgene cantene to treat water and brings my water carrying capacity to 1.75L. Steripen users could lighten their load by cutting the top off of a 1L Platypus as has been discussed many times on this forum.

Thanks for looking. Hope someone takes something away from it.
    Comment. Tell me whats wrong/whats right.

adam spates

@adamspates

I failed to mention that this Bottle rests VERY securely on my Soto stove as well.soto monster

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

That's pretty cool Adam. Might need to get that recipe–looks like you eat right.

A lot of stuff going on there with that set up, but you can't argue with light and cheap. And kudos for the tragia-like screw cap on the stove. Your ideas are appreciated.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Very creative I tried something similar with a monster bfc can and a penny stove made with redbull cans I had trouble getting a boil and it used a ton of fuel when I did I now use a old 16 ounce aluminum measuring cup that weighs 1.2 ounces and a tealight stove I get 16 ounces of 40% water to boil on 17mililiters of fuel. The aluminum measuring cup is much wider the base is around 5 Inches that and the smaller flame patern of the tealight stove is why I attribute to the better fuel consumtion

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

Im playing with a similar designed stove, anyway your can post a bit more about it?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Neat setup, Adam!

Is the Gatorade container hard to clean (w/all the ridges/grooves)?

adam spates

@adamspates

I've also tried that. However the measuring cup can't be used as a water bottle.
    With the Monster bottle and the Gatorade cup, I can boil water, then pour that out into the Gatorade cup, and use my Monster to drink out of. Or I can boil in my water bottle, pour that out into a Freezer bag, then pour hot water into the Gatorade cup and have coffee with my meal.

And with the tea candle stove you have to carry fuel in a separate container. The thing about keeping your fuel in your stove is that you don't have any waste. It may only take 15ml to boil in 60deg weather with no wind and 65deg water. However it may take 25ml to boil 16oz ub 40deg weather with 50deg water. So with your fuel kept in your stove, however long it takes I just blow it out when I'm done and unused fuel remains contained. The stove holds 4oz which is more than enough for a 3nighter. It boils 2cups in about 5.5mins with using about .75oz of fuel.

adam spates

@adamspates

@ Todd…

The Gatorade cup is VERY easy to cleanup! Easier than Fozzils and easier than Teflon coated products I've used. I was amazed at how easy it was. Just throw some water in, put on the lid, swish it around, rub with fingers, pour out water and its clean.

adam spates

@adamspates

@Jesse

The stove is water and air tight. It will not leak. I tried to just use it as a chimney stove to no avail. So, the bottom of a standard 12oz can will fit over the top of the Monster stove. The weight of the Monster pot w/ 16oz of water seals it around the bottom of the top addition. Prime the stove with just a little fuel with the top part on and you will see the fuel start to boil in the bottom. Then put the 24oz can on top w/the water and it seals off the top and forces the vaporized alcohol outside of the top(12oz can bottom)holes making it presserized. The 24oz can on top works in the same way as a penny does on a penny stove. I've played with about 8 different hole configurations on the top piece for jets and this is the best I've found yet. Its kinda like a supercat hole design, just a little different. I'm sure there is someone on this site who knows alot more about fuel/air mixture and pressure that could come up with a better top piece. But since this is the first one I've seen yet, I just have to experiment.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

1) I have no idea how your stove works. I would be nice to see some picture of it in action.

2) I thought most commercial aluminum cans are lined with a thin veneer of plastic. Is that not true? If it is, doesn't that come off when you boil water in it?

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"2) I thought most commercial aluminum cans are lined with a thin veneer of plastic. Is that not true? If it is, doesn't that come off when you boil water in it?"

The plastic doesn't come off as long as you don't heat them dry. I've used a Foster's 24 ounce beer can on numerous trips with no problems and I know others have used the now discontinued Heineken keg cans for years with no problems.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

Awesome! I may have to put this together this weekend.

What did you make the coozie out of?

adam spates

@adamspates

@ Steven….
    The coozie is made from a $5 car sunshade purchased at Wal-Mart. Just measur the height and the circumfrence and cut it out. Wrap it around the mug and duct tape it. Then take the lid and trace it and cut it. Then duct tape it to the bottom. Good luck! I'm really glad you like it!

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

What's not to like?

Glad to see the big Rexam lidded cans getting good use. Now if only I could find one in the UK. The Gatorade pot would be nice too; the nearest I've found in the UK is Kool-Aid in the 'foreign foods' aisle. I posted about the big Rexam cans on BPL thread a while back, but can't find it now… … ah, here it is; was on another Monster can stove thread. Well, Rockstar. in this case…

The ideal system would allow everything to nest together into one neat, compact package. That seems to be the only issue with your setup. It's finding the perfectly-nesting containers that is the hard part…

adam spates

@adamspates

@ Kevin…..

Everything does nest together. I actually have room in the Gatorade container for more things. The only thing that doesn't nest is the Monster can which is a moot point as its on the outside of my pack filled with water. Glad you like it. I would gladly ship you either or both containers if you pay for the product and the shipping! The Gatorade is about $5 and the monster is about $3.25.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

This is a great setup, and at an accessible price, too! Could you explain how you cut and sealed the fuel bottle to make it watertight (or, I guess, alcohol-tight)? Thanks for sharing…

adam spates

@adamspates

@ Greg…

The stove is made basically like other Pepsi can stoves. I added some JB Weld to the sides of the bottom insert before I pressed it in. The screw on cap has a round piece of silicon in it, which seals the top. It is important to not place the cap back on top of the stove right after it has been burning or you will melt the silicone. Any other questions just ask and I'll help however I can!

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

If I didn't have my current Ikea wood stove setup I would likely snatch this up in an instant! Looks good to me bro

Zach Baker

@zwb0002

Locale: the plains

Very cool setup! Thanks for the time and effort posting pictures and a description. This design is pretty ingenious and i am gonna try it

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I was wondering what you used for a wind screen, and how did you make the bottom part of the stove, where to cut, how high, etc.? Could you make it taller to hold more fuel?
    Thanks, Jack

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

regarding stove, it seems the hole-portion rests ontop of the stove? and your "pot" rests on the hole-portion. Does this create a delicate balancing act?
    I use a pepsi stove top hole, and chicken wire pot stand. Would like to eliminate stand and go side burner, I like the Monster drink pot but wonder about steadiness. Is there something I am missing?
    Thanks.
    Dana

Steve Small

@lustreking

I know that I used to have an empty one somewhere, but I can't find it. What are the interior dimensions of the Gatorade canister (depth and diameter)?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

3 1/8" inside rim diameter. 4 3/8" deep to the rim.

Steve Small

@lustreking

Thanks, Jake! That should be nearly perfect for what I need.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

That's a pretty nice set up, but like Dana I wonder about stability. Has anyone tried it? Anything to report in terms of stability?

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools