Topic

Any other moms out there that take their kids backpacking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Any other moms out there that take their kids backpacking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That's nice to hear Simone and Rebecca! Too bad you are so far away. I'd think that here in Cali I'd find other moms, but I haven't. Nice to hear about your adventures though.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

I'm actually the backpacker in our family. It's my hobby and my hubby comes along so when we do get to have kids, I will most definitely take them by myself and as a whole family. I currently have a nephew who's parents are not outdoor people and I am planning on taking him with me, just as soon as he gets that pesky walking thing figured out and I can fit him for tiny trail runners :). I find backpacking to be a particularly empowering and confidence building activity and that is absolutely something I will want to pass on to my future daughters as well as my future sons.

I am not a mother, but I would still be very interested in going on a Girl's only backpacking trip as a mentor and friend. I think it would be such a great experience for all involved!

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

Wow Kat. Impressed what you have done with your daughter. I think it's just a numbers and time thing. Not as as many women backpack and it's tough getting out, let alone with kids! I've been backpacking with my kids for about 5 years. My daughter who is now 14 hasn't come out for about two years now because she's lost her interest. I hope she gets it back someday. My partner has also stopped due to health reasons. So, I still go out with my son who is 10.

Thought I'd share this picture from a trip several year's ago. In addition to my family, our niece and dog Krissy were also on the trip. That's one boy with four girls! PS. It's pre-BPL days!Mom's and Kids

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

My daughter is my hiking partner – at 13yo she's the one looking for open weekends, between her soccer & my son's football, that we can get out. We have a great time together. My son enjoys hiking, but not near as much as my daughter – my husband enjoys it as well, but work obligations limit his time on the trail.
    Yes, she used to get the 'you went backpacking this weekend', she'd just reply with that 'Yeah' that every parent knows and there wasn't much more conversation about it being odd…. if anything her friends now are asking about upcoming trips and looking for a way to possibly join us – sometimes that works, other times its nice to just be the 2 of us!
    Regarding seeing us on the trail….. we try not to be seen too much….. call me paranoid or over protective, but we make a conscious effort to hike and camp in areas with very little traffic. I don't imagine we are the only ones that tend to be a bit stealth like when you are hiking as females alone.
    Enjoy!!

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools