Topic

Suggestions for light, puffy layer for a bigger guy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggestions for light, puffy layer for a bigger guy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Hey all, asking this on behalf of my father who is trying to gear up a bit for an extended fall AT hike. I couldn't find any threads addressing this topic while searching and the bigger guys I am aware of don't seem to have gear lists in their profiles. I have a MB down inner that I love but the largest size they have is 2XL and I am not sure if that will fit him as he typically wears a 2XL or 3XL in standard sized clothes/jackets.

So, I was wondering what the bigger guys out there are wearing for their warmer layers (something along the lines of MB down inner or thermawrap type of warmth)? Any specific jackets you are aware of that fit a larger person well while not weighing too much?

Thanks!

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

I suggest you get in touch with Ben at GooseFeet. He custom makes down jackets and specializes in the larger sizes. Great guy and his jackets are a good value for the price.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Trevor,

My Nano Puff in Men's Medium runs a bit "roomy", they do sell the Nano Puff in size XXL, you might look into that for your father. The fit description on the Patagonia website says it's a Regular Fit, which I've found with Patagonia means it's somewhat loose, allowing layering underneath, or is a relaxed fit. The Nano Puff alone isn't the warmest synthetic piece, but layered with a wool shirt or a light fleece is really warm, compressible, and comes in at a low weight.

Patagonia also has some Down Sweaters in size XXL on their Web Specials page for only $100, that's a steal, but the catch is it's in an aquamarine blue or autumn leaf, the autumn leaf isn't bad, kind of a subdued orange.

You're correct, Montbell stuff runs on the small side.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Have you looked at First Ascent (Eddie Bauer's mountaineering line)?

The Men's Downlight Sweater comes in Regular and Tall, up to XXL. There's also 25% off now through Sept 5 (tomorrow!)

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

All,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. The Patagonia and Eddie Bauer jackets look like good options at really good prices too which is a plus. I also didn't know that GooseFeet was making custom jackets. Something I will keep in mind.

If there are any other suggestions for the larger guys, please let me know.

Many thanks again,
    Trevor

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Locale: Southeast MI

Another suggestion would be the REI Revelcloud jacket. It's a synthetic but we have a few in the family and they love them. I'm in the XXL to XXXL size myself and the XXL fits me. I also use the Patagonia Down Sweater in XXL. The Eddie Bauer was a little tight imo.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Thanks Dblcorona! I will look at that too. And great to know that the Eddie Bauer may be a tight fit.

Jason William

@jdubs

Locale: South SF Bay Area

I'm 6'9" 330lbs, so I have a little experience in this department :)

Where is he "big"? Around the middle? Up top in the shoulders? Long arms? Understanding his proportions will help me give some recommendations, as I've pretty much tried 'em all at this point.

Just off the cuff though (and assuming its a big around the middle issue we're talking about) check into Columbia's Big and Tall stuff. I wear their 3XLT, and have plenty of middle room (my issue is in having extremely broad shoulders, large chest and freakishly long arms, although I do wear a 40-42" jean, if that helps). I'd bet he'd be comfortable in a their 2XL, but order a 3XL too and send one back. Their return policy is hassle free. Believe me, I know ;)

And for what its worth I'd given up on a down middle layer in my size. Nobody makes 'em. Then I ran into Ben of GooseFeet on this forum, and now I'm having him make me a down pullover that I can't wait to get.

Shoot me some more details (privately is fine too) and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just saw this while wasting time online:

Merrell Guise Primaloft. Available in 2XL but no idea how many grams of insulation in the jacket.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/merrell-guise-primaloft-eco-jacket-for-men~p~3611f/?filterString=Merrell~b~13400%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fmens-clothing~d~15%2F

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I've definitely received more responses than I expected. I'm passing on all of these suggestions so I am sure he will find a good jacket soon.

It sounds like Ben at GooseFeet has found himself a good nitch with the larger, custom down coats based on all of the recommendations so far.

Jason, PM sent.

Thanks again,
    Trevor

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I'm also cursed with very broad shoulders and chest from my football days. I've tried on almost all of the items mentioned above (Patagonia, REI, EB, Columbia, etc).

I finally settled on the EB Down Sweater in Adriatic Blue. The point is that for some reasons, the different colors in the same size seem to be sized differently. I tried on the Black and Grey colors in XXL and both were too small. But the Adriatic Blue definitely ran me more of a 3XL. I'm not kidding! I tried on every XXL in the store to make sure I could believe what I was seeing. Every black fit the same, every grey fit the same and every adriatic blue fit the same too. Also, I think mine weighs in at around 15oz. so I can't complain on the weight either.

I also have the Patagonia Nano Puff in XXL, and although it is just a little tight in my shoulders, its manageable and definitely has some extra fabric around the middle so it might work for him too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools