Topic

eVent parka for 4 seasons question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking eVent parka for 4 seasons question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I got an REI Kimtah "lightweight" eVent parka this week and plan to use it for backcountry skiing. I use Gore-Tex a lot in winter. I'm a ski patroller & my parka is GTX and my "civilian" mountain parka is GTX but I've never, ever, tried eVent.

The Kimtah has no pit zips and the low mesh-backed front pockets are blocked by my pack's waist belt. Should I buy waterproof pit zips and have a tailor put them in or does eVent breathe well enough on its own?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have eVent parka without pit zips and don't feel the need for them.

But, there are conditions where I'll get sweaty.

I have GTX jackets with pit zips and have never found them particularly useful.

Try your parka without pit zips and see how it performs in your situation before modifying it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I've used on event coat, and numerous Goretex ones. IME event is more breathable, but not massively so. 10-20%, perhaps.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

do you need a waterproof in winter at all?

if not you might be better of with a windshirt or softshell (without a membran)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Well, I always carry a WPB parka in the western mountains like the Spring Mountains north of Las Vegas (max. elevation 11,990 ft.) and in Sierra Nevada and the Rockies winter or summer. Like my down sweater, a WPB parka is a safety item, IMO.

Usually it was my Cabela's PacLite parka but now it's my eVent parka. PacLite pants go along in winter and in the Rockies a year 'round. They vent in the lower legs.

I guess as a ski patroller I'm very aware of the threat of hypothermia so a WPB parka seems necessary. And I've found that the Kimtah eVent parka easily doubles as a wind jacket.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

Hope all is well today.

I have an Event Jacket without pit zips for when I expect to carry the jacket in my pack and one with pit zips if I think I will be wearing it all day (mainly winter)

Cheers,

Stephen

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Stephen,

TWO eVent jackets! Must be nice to have teh $$ for two of them.

I'm really interested to see a scientific comparison (with industry standard numbers on breathability and water resistance) of eVent and some of the newer Gore and Polartec WPB fabrics.

Eddie Bauer publishes their WPB membrane numbers and I wish all manufacturers did.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Well, ask and ye shall recieve. Will Rietveldt just did that great review & test of several types of WPB membranes. And I STILL like eVent after reading his test results.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools