Topic

Original Black Rock Down Hat – 2 for $99 – Labor day sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Original Black Rock Down Hat – 2 for $99 – Labor day sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

what would happen: could I order a medium, and also a large, and double them up when it gets really cold? this is only a weight penalty of <1oz.
    the large would not fit snugly, but i'd have no need for it on its own.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

My wife wants nothing to do with the outdoors or anything that looks like it should be worn in the backwoods. Lovey woman; just not her thing. She's quite kind and NEVER gives me any grief about my frequent solo trips.

As to my girlfriend……well we won't go there :-)

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You know Mike, I'm pretty sure I've seen Shug wearing two Black Rock Hats before in his videos while doing an uber cold hang in his yard.

This is one of my favorites. Not sure if it's got the bit with two hats, but it's a funny one as well.

Shug's Backpacking Videos

Bryan S
    BPL Member

@bswiz

I spent too long convincing my wife we needed these hats and just missed the deal! Any chance for another sale in the coming months?

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Bryan,

I don't have anything on the books right now for another sale this year. Once we get out orders today it's back to work on the Cuben Fiber Rain Mitts and rebuilding our undermitt stock. I've even got a special item coming out using the SevenD later this fall assuming I can pull enough late nights in the workshop! Think good hiking weather!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

taking advantage of the sale, my black rock gear came today.

I have to say, the hats appear deeper than the original hat I purchased (has it been that long) about 3 years ago?
    This certainly is a good thing, since it comes down to cover my whole ear.

and the design looks to be improved overall, impeccable stitching and every baffle is the same fill, size, and loft.
    Great work, I am impressed. I wore the hat around the house (at 78°) and had to take it off after 2 minutes.

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Thanks Mike! Glad you, er, your wife likes the hat… Sounds like you may need to order another only for her ;)

As for the design, it's been continuously upgraded since the first one you bought nearly 3 years ago! We never stop moving on them. The hat is overall deeper to get over more peoples ears based on feedback. Sizing has also shifted and they've also gotten rounder with slightly more wicking headband material, tighter seam allowances all around and more goose down. So over time I've basically reduced the weight of all the fabric that goes into each hat but replaced it with even more down making for a better temp range yet keeping the weight down and compressibility high.

I'd also bet your original is ~850 fill but I only did around 100 of those until bumping to pure 900 for everything. You probably have a 900 fill hat if it's got a label though. We are also sewing on much better machines making tighter and more even stitching and the fill technique is now measured out to the 10th of a gram per baffle. We still run into problems now and again… My big boy machine is currently in the shop as of yesterday… Timing went out in the middle of shipping yesterday! Yikes. Had to drop to the backup machine to keep orders moving.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools