Topic

world meet the assault

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear world meet the assault

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

this is my most recent pack in my long line of current packs as im trying to refine the product ad i am starting to produce to sell anyway here is the specs.The pack body is dynemma gridstop from thru-hiker the pockets and roll top are sil2nds from diygear.The shoulder straps and hip belt are padded with 3d mesh.Construction the pack is constructed using a 11×20 in panel a 7×20 and two 6×20 this gives it a taper from back to front meaning its wider against your back and narrower were the back pocket is.The roll top is kept semi rigid using two strips of velcro one hook and one loop so they also aid in closing it.It is then rolled down and clipped to the pack using shock cord loops as seen in the pics.The main volume is around 1,600 cubic inches the side pockets have room for a 1-2liter water bottle as well as some snacks.The back pocket will fit items such as a water bottle mug snacks tarp ect. here is the link to my blog with info on purchasing and price http://alteregobackpackinggear.blogspot.com/
    please post any feedback constructive criticismpackpackpackpackpackpackassault or questions

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

this looks like an ION on steroids! or perhaps, a mini-burn.

Seeing this makes me wish I needed another pack!

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

The pack looks great. What did you use to make the stretch on the pocket? Is it just lycra? How well will the pack compress down, for instance, if I didn't have enough gear to fill it up high? Can you reach the bottles in the pocket without taking the pack off?

The only couple of construction techniques that I would think to change are on adding the haul loop and reinforcement patch on the back panel. I personally don't like to see raw edges whenever I can hide them, so I put the haul loop under the patch and roll the edges of the patch under a quarter of an inch and sew them down. I'm not sure how much dyneema x frays (it seems like it wouldn't) but it has made a difference on lighter fabrics for me and it is something really easy to do.

The pack looks really promising. Good luck with your venture into producing gear.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I used lyracra Binding from thru hiker on the pockets you can reach the water bottles without taking the pack off but you have to shift it a little to the side to reach them. I purposely made the pockets high so I could fit more stuff in and the water bottles wouldnt jump out when I'm bouldering and hopping from rock to rock. The pack compresses very well with the roll top and the compression system on the back I mean to sew the haul loop behind the reniforcment patch but forgot to put it on which was a mistake but with it being a personel pack I didnt want to spend 20minutes with a seam ripper fixing a purly cosmetic promblem thank you for all the feedback
    So far I really appreciate it

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

William,
    Really nice pack design I have one question and my only concern. Why so much zigzag seams and being exposed the threads could snag on brush and rocks and cut the thread and the stitch would unravel?
    Terry

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I really like the red thread!
    Keep up the good work.
    Dustin

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

The zigzag stitching on the shoulder strap and shoulder strap attactment Is probaly over kill but it is a highly stressed area and I want to be sure it will hold it is against your back so it won't contact brush the only other places that use a zigzag are the webbing attachment point and the lyracra binding. I highly highly doubt you could snag the thread with brush I'd say it's alomst impossible. there is also zigzag stitching on the inside as
    I use a 4 stich French seam I do a normal french seam then add another line of straight stich to that which brings it to 3 stitch lines one being closed in the French seam I then do a zigzag as well this seam has proven to be very durable and long lasting keep your eyes pealed as the assult X2 will be making it's debut soon this will be a slightly larger and more refined assult

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools