Topic

Modifying a sleeping bag into a quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modifying a sleeping bag into a quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kristin Fiebelkorn
    BPL Member

@kushbaby

Locale: South Texas

Not sure if modifying things belongs here in MYOG or elsewhere…

I've been modifying a small old backpack with a lot of success (so far), and I thought I'd take a shot at an old sleeping bag next. I have an old North Face mummy sleeping bag that is pretty warm (not down – don't know the rating). Then I was reading in "Lighten Up!" about modifying an existing sleeping bag to a quilt. I hate the zippers on these things anyway, so…

While I could certainly take a swing at doing this myself, I thought it would be prudent to ask if any has any suggestions, tips, etc., for modifying a sleeping bag into a quilt.

Any tips would be most appreciated. :D

(Edited to say the bag that will be modified is a North Face mummy, not American Trails – that one is too long for me)

Kristin Fiebelkorn
    BPL Member

@kushbaby

Locale: South Texas

Sorry, never mind. I started cutting a bit, and the innards are pretty ratty. Modification is fun, but I think I just need a new quilt.

(Still interested in any thoughts on modification, though! Just curious…)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Kristin,

I typically use my 2 lb sleeping bag in quilt like fashion. I leave it unzipped and lay it over me and draped down the sides but not underneath me except for the toe end.

So the only motivation for me to modify it would be to cut down on weight. It already is functioning like a quilt.

I could cut out the zipper, shorten the bag and take a couple inches off the sides. The zipper would cut off a few ounces. I don't want to shorten the bag, however, because I would lose the hood. The hood adds a lot of warmth. And I don't want to cut anything off the sides because they are just wide enough for me to tuck them under me slightly so everything stays in place and drafts are prevented.

Sooooo, bottom line, I would only remove the zipper if I wanted to convert my bag to a dedicated quilt.

Daryl

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools