Topic

Southern NH Hikers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Southern NH Hikers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Once again, I've been without computer access for too long, and I want to get back into the BPL community now that I have a steady residence.

I just moved to Southern New Hampshire (Keene). I know there must be other BPLers in the general area. Anybody want to get together for some weekend backpacking or day hiking trips? I know there are plenty of options for all sorts of hikes around here, so let's get a NE BPL chapter started!

Who's with me?

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

I know there must be some BPL folks in New England. Where are you?

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Can't believe you got left hanging. If I were to move back to New England I'd be there in a second. Loved your piece on the PCT by the way.

Don't take it personally, New Englanders are a more reticent group than the Californians.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I'm in Norwalk, CT and there are like two of us in the greater NYC area, haha. With Irene messing up the trails, did you have a hike/area in mind? U might link up w/ sectionhiker.com, he's near you too.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I live in the Finger Lakes. I usually travel to the High Peaks areas for September camping, but I have people coming this weekend and have a boat to finish. Anyway, a couple nights doesn't sound very apealing, I usually head out for about a week or so at a time. Fall is my favorite time.

This year I will be avoiding the eastern sections. The western areas are mostly longer canoe trips and short hikes, though you can get some good hiking time along the Finger Lakes Trail and the NCT. Both pass through some fairly populated areas though. I am really more addicted to back country stuff.

I think they will have at least some of the trails open in the High Peaks areas by the end of the month. The roads from western CT, NH and VT will be in various stages of repair. NJ was hit hard. Eastern PA took a hit also. Check any route maps and local travel route planers for the best routes through or around any bridge/road works.

It is easy to set up a list or group on yahoo or the like. Let me know.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Bryce, I'm just thinking of in general for future plans. No specific hike planned. I'd just like to see more New England hikes on the trip announcements forum.

James, I doubt I'll make it as far as the Finger Lakes, but I'm hoping I'll have time for a long drive once in a while. Not sure for now. I'll keep my eyes on the Vermont and White Mountains road conditions, though. Irene really messed up a lot of things, unfortunately.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

i'm in the whites and typically up for blazing trail
    leslie

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Awesome. Leslie, I'm hoping to get into the Whites a bit this month. I'll have to see what my free time looks like. Keep me posted if you come up with any plans for a hike.

Also, I saw your other post… I'm planning on going to ALDHA as well. It's going to be good times!

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

ryan, it's touch and go for me right now, but keep me informed and i'll do the same. rock steady.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

I would love to get out with some North East BPL folks in the future. Right now my three week old baby girl Maya has me on a short leash however.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Sweet! Gerry and Leslie, I'll try to keep my weekends for the rest of this month open. I'll have a better idea of my schedule by the end of this week, I think. If we can get out for at least one 2-3 day trip this fall, I'd be mighty happy. Any ideas?

Grafton Loop is one of my favorites, but it's a bit of a haul from Keene (close to 4-hour drive). The Pemi area seems like it would be relatively central for most of us. I was hoping to do more backpacking in Vermont this fall, but last week's events kind of screwed up that idea.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hi all. I live in Burlington, VT. I've recently gotten out of a long stint in physical therapy and I've been doing a lot of hiking (mostly in the ADK) this past month. I'm into hiking, peak bagging, canoeing, tenkara fly fishing, and I'll be resuming rock climbing soon.

I'm down for whatever. At this point, I think Irene has trashed my plans for finishing my 46-R list this fall, but well see. I can travel to the NH and ME – no problem.

If anyone wants to make some plans, let me know.

– Dave

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

i too would like to sneak out for a full weekend before snows fly. as of this writing my weekends are work consumed, but change is in the air. will send a smokesignal as such changes unfold. i'm cool with VT or the berks. ALDHA remains on my radar as well.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I'm in Boston, I make it up to the Whites and VT about every other weekend. I'm knocking off the 4000' list.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Someone pick a wknd already. :p

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

October 22-23.

Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway? (friday night through sunday afternoon… big miles, mellow terrain).

A stretch of the Long Trail in southern vermont (in the finally reopened GMNF)?

Something in the White Mountains (playing in the snow)?

Catskills? Adirondacks? Maine? (these all might be a bit too far for me to drive, but possible).

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

3 day wknds are best for me so that Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon. For all the driving I like to spend a decent amount of nights out.

What do "big" miles = ? I have multiple knee surgeries…I'd be good for 10-13 a day, but that would be with moderate terrain.

I'll drive to any of the places.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

The Monadnock Sunapee Greenway is about 45 miles, much of it on easy terrain, but that would be something like close to 20 mile days.

Southern Vermont would be a good option, I think.

Or AT in Massachusetts, but I don't know that area too well. That might be closer to your neck of the woods.

Anyone else joining in this little extravaganza? Let's go, New Englanders!

Kimberly Mooers
    BPL Member

@godschildren

Hi from New York state. I'm available JULY/AUGUST being that I'm a teacher. It's not as feasible for me to get out Sept-June due to work responsibility, however . . . . I've thru hiked the JMT in 2010, the NPT in 2009 and I love hiking! Next summer, I'd love to "get out on the trail" anywhere. I love going to the Sierras. I'd be interested in hiking the Sierras, Winds, CDT (Colorado Trail), AT, NPT . . . let me know?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools