Topic

tent repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear tent repair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

We took out our new REI quarter dome. When we we shaking out the tent, found a knife that had been left in one of the pockets as it poked a hole in the top of the tent. Any recommendations on how to fix a tear? It's about 1 1/2 inches long in the ripstop.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Top of the tent, or top of the fly?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Smear silicone around the tear, slap a nylon patch on the inside of the fly, and hand stitch it while the silicone is still wet. Press the repair overnight to force the silicone into the stitching.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Tear Aid" Type A

Round the corners on the patches.
    Sandwich the tear.

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

REI (and walmart) sell a tent repair kit for about $5
    its looks like the patch repair kit that comes with those aweful Coleman inflatable air mattresses. basically a tiny squeeze tube of a glue, a round peel sticker 2" or 3" diameter, or a rectangular 2"x4" peel and stick.

I just used the stickers, without the glue or sewing.

http://www.rei.com/product/684939/coghlans-nylon-tent-repair-kit

Decades ago a wild bonfire near my tent, resulted in dime sized burn holes, that mosquitoes exploited… that's how I fixed it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools