Topic

Footwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Footwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Richard Peters

@rhpeters

Not much discussion about lightweight footwear here at BPL. What are people using and why?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

NB805’s (mine) – NB might be up to 808’s now, not sure of current model.

David Spellman

@dspellman

Footwear is pretty personal, since fit is probably the most important criteria. After that, it depends on what kind of hiking you’re actually doing and how much weight you’re carrying (both pack weight and body weight). I can get away with lightweight trail shoes (New Balance 809’s, etc.) on nice trails on day hikes, but when I’m carrying a backpack in the Sierras, it’s almost always Lowa Tempest Lo’s with the green Superfeet insoles. Stiffer, thicker sole with more protection for the bottoms of the feet. In winter, I’m currently wearing Lowa Whistler GTX’s for snowshoeing and Salomon SMLite’s for climbing and crampon work (I don’t go up vertical ice, so they don’t have to be *that* stiff). I don’t know if either of the latter two are still in their respective product lines — I got them in closeout deals.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools