Topic

SummerLite, Hydrogen, or Spiral #3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SummerLite, Hydrogen, or Spiral #3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Trying to make a final decision between these 3 bags for summer use:

WM Summerlite

Marmot Hydrogen

Montbell UL Spiral Down Hugger #3

Any comparative experiences/observations would be appreciated…

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have the Montbell. I use it without a bivy. I like the fact that it has dwr and seems to keep the spray off pretty well. I don't know if the others are dwr'd. I have had no complaints with it.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have the #3. Based on my very limited experience with it at colder temps, I'd guess it's a 35 F bag. The Hydrogen is heavier, but based on my reading, it will likely be comfortable to around 25F. I think there are good review articles on both of these.

I chose the #3 because of the stretch. My unverified impression is that there is some loss of loft wherever there is at least moderate stretch. The extra room is nice for getting into a comfortable position, just don't plan on sleeping sprawled out inside of it or anything.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I have the #3 down hugger.

I find it to be fairly accurate as far as rating goes. I have had mine down to 32 with the hood on not cinched wearing shorts and a T-shirt. As well as plenty of nights between 35 and 40. Somewhere between 35 and 40 the hood becomes too hot.

With a base layer pant and top instead of shorts and t-shirt I anticipate I could take it down to 25 without an issue and down to 20 if I add a jacket. I may get the opportunity to try this towards the end of september if it gets cold early.

I have not found that the down compressess due to stretch although I don't think that you get much extra room compared to a regular bag with just the diagonal baffles on the hugger. However it is definately more roomy then the Summerlite. I am 6'3 and the long size of the number 3 fits me perfectly but I wouldn't want to be much taller. It is definately shorter in length than the summerlite.

The nice thing about the Montbell is price. I was able to buy mine from camp saver for 206 when the had a 20% off sale. WM is much harder to find on sale.

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

I have used the Summerlite before and I find it to be cold without additional insulated clothing at about 40 degrees. I am a wisp of a person and am a pretty cold sleeper so depending on yourself it may be fine. I do think that the Summerlite could benefit from a little more down fill personally. One thing I did not anticipate was that I still found the bag too roomy in order for me to efficiently heat up the space which is weird since most people say it's too narrow. I have since moved to a SD Nitro 30 due to the extra 3 ounces of down over the Summerlite and the stretch in the torso keeps the bag tight to my body making for a warmer bag. It also came in weighing exactly at spec at 26oz. One thing to note is that my Summerlite came in over spec at a little over 21oz.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Tyler – how big are you?

I am 5-8; and top out at 140 (and if I am in good shape I am closer to 130), and am a somewhat cold sleeper too.

The specs on the Marmot and Montbell suggest I may be swamped in them…

I do need full length zippers, though, as my wife and I plan to extend the temp range by zipping them together (saved us in a big snowstorm in the Winds last fall), so the SD Nitro is out.

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

I used to have a 2009(newer version) hydrogen. I'm 5-11 165 and the the regular size was still pretty roomy. It's a nice bag though!

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

Matt,

I'm of a similar size. I'm 5'9" and like you I'm about 135 soaking wet since I'm an active runner. A good thing about the stretch technology is that it keeps the bag tight to you but also allows you to move. The Nitro stretches from 53-60 inches according to the specs so it looks like the Montbell UL Spiral would be a good choice since it stretches from 56-68 inches. I just found the Summerlite with only 9oz of down and 59" girth in a size regular too cold.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I had the summerlite- was too confining for me (~ 6' 190#), I swapped for a Hydrogen and the fit is just right; the Hydrogen rating is almost spot on- for me anyways- it also has very good dwr

if I was smaller I'd be very tempted by the summerlite- although if the temp rating isn't accurate (which would be unusual for WM) then maybe not

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've had the wider WM Megalite for 3 seasons and it's great to just about its rating, 30 F. Below that I wear more clothing beginning with a balaclava, med. weight longies & going to a light EB down jacket and then to down pants at 15 F.

Still comfy at that 15 F. temp in the Megalite B/C its wide enough to accomodate the extra insulation.

That said I'm sending it to WM for another 1 oz. of down fill in September. That, they tell me, will add another 5 F. of warmth, but that's WM's typically conservative (i.e. European-style) rating.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Any observations on the fabrics used?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Hydrogen uses a 20 D ripstop that is very comfy on the skin, the outer has a very good DWR and no leaking of feathers- can't recall what the Summerlite used, but it was also a comfy material- don't know the DWR as I never had in any moisture

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools