Topic

MSR Whisperlite gas cartridge modification?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MSR Whisperlite gas cartridge modification?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tom haegler

@tomhaegler

Has anyone converted their MSR Whisperlite so that you can use it with MSR/Primus etc. cartridges? I love the Whisperlite but sometimes I'd appreciate if I could use cartridges (easier handling etc.). Basically you could just buy the hose from a Rapidfire (if available) and put this into the Whisperlite…then you have a cartridge stove. Am I right?

cheers
    tom

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Just a wild assumption here, but believe the jetting is different between liquid fuels and gaseous fuels.

You might have quite a blowtorch going straight to isobutane.
    Please post a video of your first test.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, modified stove test videos are always lots of fun to watch.

–B.G.–

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

The jet should work with gas, I have Primus Omnifuel stove and it uses the same jet for gas and white gas and there is a replacement jet for kerosene (and maybe diesel, if I remember)

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Uh, conceptually it shouldn't differ much from the Primus and Coleman equivalents but swapping in the hose sounds pretty kludgy. The jet should work as is.

But I'm among those who think there's a easier path than pressing a Whisperlite into compressed gas service. The forthcoming Windpro II springs to mind.

Cheers,

Rick

tom haegler

@tomhaegler

Yeah – or the new Whisperlite which burns all fuels. That's what MSR's got to say:

Tom. You heard right, in 2012 we are introducing the WhisperLite Universal hybrid-fuel stove. However, the canister fuel adaptor for the new WhisperLite Universal will not be compatible with old WhisperLite stoves. In order to make the WhisperLite Universal adaptors user-swappable, the stove design was modified to add a permanently-mounted, threaded connection and sealing features to the fuel line. Because this connection interface between the fuel line and the adaptor doesn’t exist on the previous models, the adaptor cannot be connected to older fuel lines. The burner design on the new WhisperLite Universal is also a little different to improve how well the stove performs on both fuels.

I agree. Buying a new stove would be the easiest way. But why always buy new stuff when the old one's still working (and could actually work with a small upgrade). It seems companies don't want to make their stuff upgradable (less sales, less money) and I think thats a poor mindset…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I think in the case of products that emit flame, an upgrade scheme for user implementation sounds like a path straight to the courtroom. I'm willing to bet MSR stoves hold a good deal of their value used, so there's always that option for the restless.

Gear does improve with time–The Markets (pbut) "demand it." But a stove that boils water will continue to boil water even after its cuter cousin appears on the scene. The only true death knell is when its fuel disappears.

Cheers,

Rick

tom haegler

@tomhaegler

True…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Speaking of a Whisperlite running on canister gas, I just shot a video of the new Whisperlite Universal running on canister gas.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I've posted some detailed MSR Whisperlite Universal photos and videos on my blog if you're interested.

HJ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools