Topic

Yet another reason to go UL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Yet another reason to go UL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

This following article is about children's school backpacks, but it is, I think relevant to our quest to lighten the load. It argues that carrying more than 15 percent of your body weight can lead to back injury. In my case, that would be 20 pounds max.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/08/19/Overloaded-backpacks-can-injure-children/UPI-11781313780910

Stargazer

Mitchell Murphy

@texico

Locale: North Georgia

It's also another argument for pack fit. The article makes references to packs with shoulder straps only and no hip belts. A properly fitted pack with good weight transfer to the hips reduces the stress on the shoulders and back. School backpacks are horribly designed to carry the weight students are lugging around now.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools