Topic

US Antarctic Program Safety Manual

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking US Antarctic Program Safety Manual

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I stumbled across this amazing safety manual, w/gear lists and emergency first aid procedures, tents, stoves, extreme cold weather clothing info, and more at the US Antarctic Program government web site at:

http://www.usap.gov/travelAndDeployment/contentHandler.cfm?id=540

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

HOURS of fun to come.
    Thanks.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

BD – Thanks for pointing out this article. I just spent the past hour or so reading over the sections I found interesting. In all honesty the information contained within was pretty basic stuff for anyone who's already done research into this kind of stuff but it was still a good read.

The sections I read:
    Extreme Cold Weather Clothing.
    Snow Shelters
    Tents
    Rope Use and Care
    Stoves

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I had the same reaction … I just had to read, and read, and read for an hour or two.

It was a great source of info for a beginner at real cold weather camping like me, and it confirmed the concepts and IMO it validated the cold weather practices described here at the BPL site. The gear list was fascinating to me; got some ideas about first aid, for example.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools