Topic

Weekender/Gorilla

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Weekender/Gorilla

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Does anyone know if a Bearikade Weekender fits in a Gorilla, or does it have to be strapped to the top?

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Rob,

Yes it will fit vertically inside just fine. I just test my Weekender in my Gorilla and you actually have a little extra room all around the canister. I plan on putting my sleeping bag, down jacket and sleep clothes in a poly bag on the bottom. Then place the canister on top of the poly bag. I should be able get my MLD solo mid/bivy beside the canister and probably something like a rain jacket. Then more gear on top (i.e. stove, stuff sack with misc gear, etc).

Brad

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Does your Gorilla have the metal stays? I tried making a model of the Bearikade, and it looks like I will not be able to get it in the Gorilla.

Robert Brandriff
    BPL Member

@rkbca1

Locale: SF Bay Area

Rob:

Yes, the Weekender needs to be upright but it does fit in the pack. I haven't actually tried it in the field yet. One thing I noticed walking around the neighborhood to get in shape: you don't want it at the very bottom of the pack or it digs into your lower back. Higher up where it would be normally anyway, it seems fine; it does take quite a bit of room though. Strapping it on the top of the pack looks problematic to me.

Mine is the same as Brad's with a bit of room around the bear canister. It just clears the aluminum pack stays and there is room to stuff a jacket or something behind it to keep it from pressing directly against the SitLight pad. Again, it does take quite a bit of room.

Bob

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Mine does have the metal stays.

Bob is correct on the positioning. That is why I put the sleeping bag, etc at the bottom then the canister next in a vertical position.

Brad

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I have a Weekender and use it in my Mariposa Plus. I am glad to hear it fits in the Gorilla since that is probably my next pack. I pack mine the same. Stuff on bottom; canister on top. Except for one change:

Brad you mentioned you are going to put your sleep clothes, sleeping bag and down jacket on the bottom. I have found that I like having my down jacket on top of the canister for a few reasons. First, when I leave in the morning I can wear my jacket right up to the time I am ready to leave. I always seem to be ready to go but am waiting around for others. Second, it is nice to have the jacket at times if you are at the top of a hight peak and it gets windy. You can just put it on to keep warm if it's real windy. The last reason I like it on top is that it seems to shield the canister from the sun and keeps stuff in the canister a bit cooler. I also place some of my daily food on top of the canister in a bag and under the down jacket. Keeps the meltable tolerable.

Just my experience.

Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools