Topic

AT-MD-Crampton’s Gap to Harper’s Ferry circuit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports AT-MD-Crampton’s Gap to Harper’s Ferry circuit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Preston Dudley

@pjdudley

This is my first trip report, and first trip having a camera (Nikon Coolpix L120)[fyi, all panorama pics had to be re-sized to fit]. I will keep it simple for this one, next will include: itinerary, goals, gear list, and more general info.

This was an approximately 20mile circuit (out-and-back) on the AT. Starting at Crampton's Gap, MD, and going to Harper's Ferry, WV. It was a beautiful day, low to mid 80s and LOW HUMIDITY(a scarcity for the mid-atlantic)

Distance~20mi. Time~551min=9.18hrs(total trip time, Including lunch, stops, etc.) Accumm Elev Gain~2384ft(according to High Gear Axio Max Watch)

Trip was made with a fellow from work, of whom had never been hiking before. So, I supplied the extra equipment etc, and kept the mileage down to 20 miles (though he undoubtedly suffered the last 5mi.)

The trip starts with an ascent up South Mountain, then ridge-walks Southward to the Potomac River. It then descends down to the Potomac River where it then follows the C&O Canal to Harper's Ferry. (then return back along same path back to the car)

Started at about 7am, in Gathland State Park with the sun peeking through the trees.Morning, Sun Peeking through trees along South Mountain

South Mountain stops at The Potomac River. Before descending down to the Potomac River, fantastic views are offered from Weverton Cliff (looking South). Directly across the Potomac River is Virginia.Weverton Cliff_2Weverton Cliff_3Weverton Cliff_4Weverton Cliff_5
    Weverton Cliff_6
    Weverton Cliff_6
    Weverton Cliff_7
    Weverton Cliff_9
    Weverton Cliff_18
    Weverton Cliff_ME

Below are a few pictures of Harper's Ferry (midpoint of the trip)Harper's Ferry_1Harper's Ferry_6Harper's Ferry_10Harper's Ferry_14Harper's Ferry_16

Below is the famous Building from Civil War Era with John Brown's hold up, where he was eventually captured.

Below are a few pictures of where the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers confluence (just east of Harper's Ferry). This is the meeting point of Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia.Confluence_2Confluence_3

Enjoy, certainly more to come in the future, with as I stated itinerary, goals, gear list, and more general info. Will certainly be gear photos. Overnight and Day trips will be posted.

~Preston

‎"I have, as it were, my own sun and moon and stars, and a little world all to myself. There can be no very black melancholy to him who lives in the midst of nature and has his senses still"~Henry David Thoreau

Preston Dudley

@pjdudley

FYI, if anyone would like any of the photos just message.

Preston Dudley

@pjdudley

Below is the picture of the building of John Brown's hold up.Harper's Ferry_2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools