Topic

Heavier weight cuben fiber ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heavier weight cuben fiber ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Have any of you had any experience with heavier weights of cuben fiber? I am curious about high bias stuff over 4oz / sq yd. Anything from 4 to even 6oz/ sq yd. I do have cubic tech's page on the fabrics they make.

After seemingly countless variations of pack patterns, little changes here and there, I am finally happy with my pattern and am ready to make the ideal pack for myself. My most recent version is made out of 500d cordura (because its cheap).

I want a super durable fabric that is also waterproof which is why I am considering cuben, but only in heavier weights.

I did get some DX 40 (which is waterproof) from Dimension Polyant that I am planning on making a pack out of and I will see how I like that, but I am still drawn by cuben's allure. I have not worked with cuben yet, let alone touched it with my own hands.

I have made several packs out of X-Pac and I do like the fabric just poor selection of colors, even from DP.

If anyone is interested here are the specs from DP on the DX40 fabric (fabric is white with black X-pac pattern) I like white fabric on packs.

I was quoted by DP two different weights on the fabric; 7.8oz/ sq yd, and 6.9oz/ sq yd. I have not taken the time yet to weigh the fabric to verify which is correct.

DX40
    dyneema/polyester ripstop face fabric
    black polyester X-ply yarn
    .25mil PET film
    50d polyester backing

The face fabric consists of
    warp 400d dyneema
    fill 125d polyester
    ripstop 800d dyneema on warp and fill

It is pretty cool looking fabric and I am excited to work with it and see how the pack turns out, but I am also looking for something ultra durable and just a bit lighter (I expect the DX40 to be extremely durable)

Thanks

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I have not seen anything thicker than the 1.46, but it might be worth looking into the new stuff that Joe at Zpacks is using. It has a woven outer I believe with cuben inner. Might be worth looking into.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Thanks,
    The new fabric Joe is using looks really cool, I would imagine he had them do the custom layup just for him. Unfortunately I don't need, nor can afford a whole roll. I am also wanting something about twice as thick.

I may have to call cubic tech and see if they can send me some samples.

I was just hoping someone here had some experience with the heavier bi-axial stuff cubic tech lists on their website.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Chris, I used the high bias 4oz/yd cuben fiber for my snowshoe decking. It is really thick stuff. Went through 2 pairs of scissors cutting it out. Cubic tech will send you (or they used to) a sample pack with pretty much every version of fabric they have. Some of their stuff could be used as a cutting board.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Dan McHale recently posted a cuben pack on his website, and although I don't know the specs of the fabric, I doubt he'd use anything less than bomber:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/letter/index.htm

Also, I have a Z Packs blast food bag that's made of 1.46 oz/sq yd stuff and I'm amazed at how durable it is. Granted, a food sack doesn't get the abuse of a pack, but I find myself purposefully abusing it a little just to test it and it hasn't done much more than soften and become quieter. It shows no real signs of abrasion or mice chewing that I've seen it subjected to over the past year or more that I've had it.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I've weighed it and it's 6.9 oz/yd. It's indeed awesome fabric and the face fabric is mostly dyneema. I've been using it for pack bottoms which seems to be a perfect place for it.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Thanks
    I really appreciate your responses. I am going to have to get some samples from cubic tech.

I can be really hard on a pack. I don't like any mesh or pockets on the outside. Just a simple bomber alpine rucksack.

It sounds like the 4oz hi-bias stuff will be what I am looking for.
    I'll keep you posted with what I end up doing.

Igor Grekov

@igrek

Chris, could I just wonder if you succeeded in finding 4oz cuben? Thanks!

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

Where does one acquire dx40? is it only through dp?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools