Topic

3 day trip into the Anaconda-Pintlers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 3 day trip into the Anaconda-Pintlers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

My wife and I squeezed in a short trip into the Pintlers, an area we've always wanted to hike but just never got around to doing it. We both agreed we'd be back in for a longer trip next summer :)

We made a loop starting at the Middle Fork of Rock Ck trailhead, headed up the Middle Fork- hooking into a few trails including a potion of the CDT and then out the Falls Fork of Rock Ck back to the same trailhead

The area is dotted with several alpine lakes (most occupied by trout :))

Little Johnson Lake (the lupines were out in full force, as well as a whole host of other wildflowers)

Photobucket

@ Bitterroot Pass

Photobucket

looking down onto Kelly Lake

Photobucket

camp at Ripple Lake

Photobucket

I was expecting "typical" small mountain lake trout (8-10"), but got totally surprised w/ this fish- cutthroat-rainbow cross that was in the 4 # range! With very light tackle (2# test), I had a long 20 minute fight and surprised myself and actually landed it. The trout was too big for the grill so he went back in to grow some more.

Photobucket

this one wasn't too big however for my "1 oz grill"

Photobucket

there was a large burn in the area in 2000 that took large chunks of real estate

Photobucket

Photobucket

trail into Hidden Lake- amazing wildflowers!

Photobucket

Hidden Lake

Photobucket

views from the CDT

Photobucket

this sign got a scorching

Photobucket

Elk Park (aptly named as we saw 15-20 head)

Photobucket

the nights were cool and the mornings crisp

Photobucket

Pintler Pass

Photobucket

while resting at the pass we met "Handle Bar" who was on his way to finishing the CDT, was great visiting with him as we want to give the CDT a go sometime

Johnson Lake

Photobucket

down the Falls Fork which is aptly named as well

Photobucket

I've already penciled in a longer loop east of where we were hiking for next year :)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Wow Mike!!!!

You did a heckuva job landing that trout! I'm impressed w/your patience on 2lb test. You really had a to baby that one.

Great pics – I'm jealous every time I see people in long sleeves this time of year :(
    I'm still sweating outdoors at any time of day!

Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you and your wife do this together.

Todd

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

I love that area! thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools