Topic

Bear Canister in a Front Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear Canister in a Front Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Has anyone considered making a “front pack” style attachment to carry a bear canister in areas they are required? It seems to me this would be a very good solution. It would allow one to use a smaller main pack that should more than make up for the extra weight of the “front pack” (not including the weight of the bear canister, of course).

I’m thinking of giving this a try. Any thoughts?

Jason William

@jdubs

Locale: South SF Bay Area

Don't see why not. The size/shape of the thing might be an issue (protrudes out, awkward round curve pressed against your chest?), but weight wise I think you're right on point. If we can carry a DSLR+lenses in a front camera case comfortably, no reason a bear canister shouldn't work in that same spot.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The problem with a large front pack like you suggest is that it blocks your view of your feet, and this may lead to stumbling. At least it does for me.

–B.G.–

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I agree with Bob Gross about front packs' tendency to cause stumbling. The only exception is when skiing, I for one look out further than when hiking, and don't mind a front pack as much.

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

Gets in the way of peeing, as well as the forward lean hunch when climbing steep uphill

Already have a beer belly, no room for a second barrel

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

This is the inspiration for this idea.

It seems like there is a following for front packs (they are not the only ones to make one). Just seems like the bear canister would be a logical choice to put somewhere other than in your pack.

I hadn't thought about not being able to see your feet. I do look down a lot when hiking, but I don't know if it would bother me or not if I could not see my feet.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Another thought… In addition to the increased tendency to stumble, if you DO fall forward, you put that hard shell right into your gut/ribs. A front pack with semi-soft, conforming load is probably a better thought.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Okay, so no one thinks this is a good idea. I guess a front pack with other "stuff" and the bear canister in the pack is a better idea.

Well, that is why I asked…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Front packs are hot— that ends up being a lot of insulation and blocked ventilation. Might be nice with a 20F/10MPH breeze in your face, but no so much after 2000 feet of switchbacks in August.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools