Topic

Boulder, CO – Sept 24th Weekend?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Boulder, CO – Sept 24th Weekend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

I just learned that I'm taking a business trip to Boulder in late September and will have an opportunity to stay over for the weekend and likely into Monday.

Is it too late to get a backcountry pass to Rocky Mountain NP? A friend may drive up so we can head into Estes Park. From the RMNP website though it sounds like the backpacker shuttles will stop running weekends by then.

Are there other places nearby Boulder for an overnighter or three day/two night trip?

Thanks,
    Jared

William Cummings

@rcummings1

Locale: Colorado

Depends on where you want to go. If you want to go to Glacier Gorge, the Loch, or Andrews, those are pretty hard to get on short notice. I would look at the Backcountry sitemap on the RMNP website and make a few choices, then call the Backcountry Office at 970-586-1242 to see what's available. You can also show up at the BC office when they release the unclaimed permits at 10AM everyday, and make your choice then. Keep in mind you have to have a bear cannister for camping below treeline in RMNP that time of year.

Another alternate choice is Indian Peaks Wilderness west of Boulder. The Summer permit system ends Sept 15th., after that you don't need one.
    http://indianpeakswilderness.org/ipwa_trip_plan.htm#Permits

In both areas backcountry traffic really thins out after Labor Day.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Indian Peaks is a great option as William said. Also James Peak Wilderness right next to it is good for an overnighter. If you're willing to drive a couple hours, Lost Creek Wilderness is nice as well. Those are my favorite close to Boulder areas to backpack.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Thanks ya'll! I've been looking at the Indian Peaks area as William mentioned. There are just so many trails in the area, and all the great photos out there make it hard to choose. We're going to rent a bear canister either in Boulder or Estes Park. Would bear spray be good insurance to have too? I think we'd like to stay at lower altitudes both to get acclimated and also because I'm not used to the weather at higher up.

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

I would not spend weight or $ on bear spray.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools