Topic

How many packs do you own?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How many packs do you own?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Geeze… only three:

GoLite JAM2
    MLD Burn
    Osprey Exos 58

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

only 2…

hornet 32 and jam…

i have used 5+ different packs on multiple trips though this year that I've sold though.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

4 here:

MLD Exodus
    MLD Burn
    Granite Gear Vapor Trail
    Black Diamond RPM (daypack)

Conor Robinson
    BPL Member

@cpac54

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I own an Osprey Mutant 38 (which is kinda my go to for everything), and a small 6L Gregory pack for trail running.

I'd really like to get myself an Osprey Hornet or a GoLite Jam, as well as a Kelty Cloud for longer Alpine Trips. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I currently have four, but don't use two of them.

The ones I use are a TNF daypack with hoop frame and hipbelt for dayhiking and a Six Moon Designs Comet (2005 model) for backpacking.

I still have my old Kelty external frame pack which I should donate to the Salvation Army. No way will I ever use it again!

I have a GG Mariposa pack in size small, with the carbon fiber stays. I bought two of them on closeout for my grandkids, but they just didn't work out for them. Both the kids seem to have inherited my very pressure-sensitive shoulders which really require a good set of load lifters to be comfortable. I recently gave one of the Mariposas to "Sunshine" (who with her father "Balls" is currently hiking the PCT), and it is working well for her. I really should sell the other one–it's brand new and has been sitting under the bed in my guest room the last two years.

Oh, yes,hanging in my garage I have an antique, found somewhere many years ago–a homemade Trapper Nelson style pack, canvas with wooden frame. I should donate it to one of the local hiking clubs.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I own 4 but use 3 :

Golite ion , week end hikes.

Butchered Osprey stratos 32 ( removed one zip, didnt remove the other one because i couldnt sew it… remove bladder pocket and the 2 interior pockets, removed cover foam, cut to size all straps, removed compressing straps and put linelocs + shock cord etc…) all of that for only -260G/ 9oz but over 10lb of gear my back wont do with anything but a net + frame backpack.
    Its the backpack i use the more

Osprey atmos 50, didnt used it for 2 years but keeping it

Osprey exos 58 for 2+ weeks hikes unsupported in summer and all winter hikes with my 800G ( 28oz )of 850+ down bag.

backpack i tried but that wouldnt do with my back ( in really bad shape after a car accident )

talon 44
    golite jam
    luxurylite. ( no back problem with this one, it was more at the shoulders i wasnt confortable.)

My wife uses only 2 :

ULA catalyst : hikes with 2+ weeks of food carried, and hikes with her winter down bag.
    Talon 44 : all other hikes.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

12 collected over the past 30 years. That includes day packs, and they are now used by our family of four. I am still planning on another this year, maybe the new one from HMG :). The GG Gorilla is my favourite out of the lot and when I look at the Dana Designs Terraplane I just sigh.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

There is a real range of sizes and styles in the garage from the Macpac Torre for the big heavy loads and long trips down to a couple of 40 litre packs for overnights. There's a couple of external frames for carrying awkward loads like bags of cement or cast iron pot belly stoves for hut maintenance (fortunately not recently though). I've still got my first tramping pack from 30 years ago when I was a young kid. I've only got one truly UL pack, a Golite Gust.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I have 8 or 9. Several others were given to people. The main packs I have and use are three
    1) Osprey Atmos 50 – More of a portage pack really. Used more for cannoeing.
    2) GossamerGear G5 – Older UL pack, up to 20lb. UL trips and weekends.
    3) Gossamer Gear Miniposa – Good for longer trips. Good for about 25lb. General light weight hiking.

I haven't used the others in many years.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

i have owned a few packs in the past but the ones i use are as follows, depending on what im doing

ultimate direction solitaire torso pack

gregory stimulus hydration pack

mountain laurel designs super prophet

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

To many, some NWT.
    At least a dozen including 2 Ions, 2 Zpacks Blast 32 , 2 CamelBaks, 2 GoLite Jam2, 1 Golite Pinnacle, 3 Granite Gear Nimbus(Meridian,Latitude
    and Ozone) and others I cannot remember right now.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

McHale "full dyneema" LBP 34 – extended trips
    HMG "custom" Windrider – winter pack
    MLD "hybrid" Burn – main three season pack
    MLD "super" Burn – three season off trail pack

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Oh my!

Probably with some of the older but still usable ones about 8, or nine, maybe 10 :)

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

2 packs.

A GG Virga for small loads.
    A GG Alpine Trail for heavier loads.

I used to think it was crazy to have different equipment to meet the same needs, i.e. my Alpine Trail pack is pretty much good for all occasions for me, and why have multiple stoves/multiple cooking pots?? But I've become a believer in choosing the right tool for the right job, thus my pocketbook has taken a beating.

SoCal Mike

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

>Old Mountainsmith I haven't carried in years.
    >Jansport Bivouac 49, stripped to 30 oz. (Theoretically, this is my daughter's)
    >Osprey Exos 58, stripped to 33 oz.
    >Vaude Rock UL Comfort 25, have used for trips up to 3 nights and use every day as a commuter bag.

Plan to MYOG a pack this winter.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Golite Jam2 (backpacking)
    Golite Ion (overnighters)
    Mountainsmith Seraph (wife's)
    Salomon Raid P Evo 20 (biking/running)
    Homemade tiny sil/Dyneema pack (overnighters)
    Homemade sil/Dyneema pack (backpacking)

Not as bad as I'd feared. But I've "recycled" and retired about 3-4 other homemade packs over the past few years.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Wow, left this thread yesterday afternoon and here I am, not counting daypacks or fanny packs it appears I have fourteen starting with a canvas Sacs Millet, an external frame A-16, Jenson Rivendell and ending with a couple of mostly homemade.
    The most used is a Wild Things Andinista or possible a Sierra West Half-Dome, the least a Gregory Z-Pack.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Let's see…. at least 7
    GoLite Pinnacle
    GG Murmur
    GoLite 24 daypack
    ULA P-1
    and 3-4 old hydration and daypacks laying around.
    Time to sell some stuff!

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Four in total.

In order of affection:

!/ Lowe Alpine cerca early 1980's 90 liter cordura bombproof heavyweight monster. I've been packpacking around the world with this thing four times, hiked all over from Oz, the Himalaya, Pyrenees, Rockies and it will probably out live me. I never want to carry it again, however.

2/ Golite Ion: Current go- to pack. I've evolved from the Lowe in about four years. Day/ over night pack, but recently used for a three nighter and could have done a couple more nights above the tree line. Superhero pack- mine's unmodified.

3/ Grivel 35: Severely cut down, but it is framed with a padded belt for when I take my 4×5 camera kit etc. It doubles as the wife's pack when we go out for a while.

4/ NF Verto 26: Just bought it, not sure I like it. Still getting it wired.

Sold and tried:

GG Murmur- too much volume and felt fragile for above tree line use, real comfy. I hated the roll top- YMMV.
    ULA Circuit- too big for my load, this was my transition pack. I hated the roll top on this one too- YMMV
    ULA Relay- Great, but the S/M too small for me. I'm looking for a M/L if anyone has one for sale.

I'd love a MLD Super Burn, but I'll wait to wear out the packs I have first. By then something spectacular in pack technoloy will have happened, ha ha ha…

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I just have 3

Mariposa plus. Old design. Soo. To be updated to the aluminium frame.
    Golite breeze. Still love this pack. Am I the only one who still uses one of these.
    Old osprey aether 60. Hasn't been used in a while mostly just a loaner.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

being a deal hound and a bit of a hoarder (I'm working on both, but it's never easy to pass up a great deal), I've got lots, several of which I've never used.

REI Stoke 19: school, biking, and dayhiking pack

Stoke 9: biking, running in cold weather

Jam 2 ('09): multi-day or 'weightier' training trips.

Ion: only overnighters so far, but I want to get more out of this one

REI Jet UL: I use this one mostly for soccer gear at this point, but it could fill a niche between my Jam and Ion if I went with a lower volume sleeping pad at 3-4 nights out, I guess.

TNF Terra 30: This was an early acquisition that's prettymuch just a loaner now.

Jansport Carson: Massive external frame I keep around in case one of my friends ever invites me hunting.

Vaude steeprock 30+8: I got this one super cheap, and my little sister is the only person to have used it so far (except for my family's cat, which urinated on it and a few others stacked in my closet)

2 Pinnacles: I haven't used either yet, but one is a loaner and the other may get sold or donated.

Also, I just got a ULA CDT from Will, and it's in the mail. I wonder how many of these it will render obsolete for me.

Oh, and an flash 18 I've been meaning to sell since I got the Ion. I should do that.

I also have a few laptop bags that I got for cheap, used for awhile, and eventually replaced/upgraded/just wanted something new. I did some rough accounting awhile back and realized that, excepting cooking and clothes, I could equip about 5 people to hike at the same time with just my redundant gear (provided they were about my size).

Thanks pyeyo, now I feel melancholy at my excess.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

all 3 are used regularly.

sub 5 overnights MLD Burn
    2-3 nights GoLite Jam ('05)
    4-7 nights ULA Ohm

i have this odd little habit of dumping stuff i dont use for over 3 months. keeps my gear closet minimal, organized. less is more!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I apologize if anyone now feels depressed by the reality, there is no guilt associated with this thread unless the pets are gnawing on each other for sustenance and the applicable children are seen dumpster diving on a regular basis.
    Spousal units and grlfrndz think all packs look alike [well except for mine when I tried to explain putting packs inside packs was a normal storage solution] and besides, UPS and FedEx drivers need something to deliver.
    I like fredfoto's comment "but I'll wait to wear out the packs I have first." Great bag o' wheat what a novel concept and I salute you.
    Short of disappearance by theft or an animal digesting them most this stuff is pretty bulletproof unless as stated you use it for an above treeline haul sack.
    I have a couple of tents, a tarp, and 2 sleeping bags – packs are my weakness, now where can I find a powder blue Granite Gear …. ?

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

None of which are UL
    GraniteGear Vapor Ki for 2-3 day trip ( 14 lbs and under, anything more and my back begins to complain)
    Deuter 45+15 for 5-6 days (I've only used it on one 5 day trip so far, and removed the lid to save 5 oz.)
    and my first pack(I've only been doing this a year)a Deuter 55+10 which I'll sell just as soon as I convince myself that in the depths of winter I can still get my gear in the smaller Deuter :)

I have a bad lumbar disc and the Deuter packs work well for me.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Just have two, ULA Catalyst and OMM Jirshanca.

Will be trading up the Catalyst soon for an Aarn Pack.

Cheers,

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools