Topic

Ho-ho-riffic calories

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Ho-ho-riffic calories

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You want an easy to make treat that is perfect for winter camping & hiking? (And easier than fudge?)

Slowly melt over low heat in a Pyrex bowl suspended over a pan with simmering water in it (double boiler) 16 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunked up.
    When melted add in 6 crushed candy canes (put in a gallon storage bag and beat with a heavy pan to crush) and 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract. Stir quickly.
    Pour onto a parchment paper lined cookie tray, using a spatula, spread evenly.
    Pop in the fridge for a couple hours to set up, then break into pieces.
    Yum!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

mmm candy cane bark – you can also mix white and dark chocolate for a marbled effect… or omit the candy canes and instead add an ounce of Amaretto (or a teaspoon of Almond Extract) and some whole toasted almonds and make an almond bark.

Both Sarah's candy cane bark and the almond bark make a nice gift during the holidays. I used to do this when I was getting my university degree because I was broke and I could make a lot of gifts with this for cheap.

My maternal grandmother was a chocolatier and she never put chocolate in the fridge to set as it can pick up flavors from the fridge and it can also cause whitening of the chocolate. This doesn't matter at all if you are making it for the trail but if you decide to do it for a gift then you should let it set at room temperature (65 to 68 F). You should also store chocolate in a cool and dry place.

Other tips: If you don't want to use a double boiler you can melt chocolate nicely in the microwave if you use the defrost cycle (30% power).

If you don't have a double-boiler you can use a glass or stainless bowl placed on top of a pot of water as Sarah has mentioned. When you are using an actual double-boiler or a bowl make sure that the water in the pot beneath does not touch the bottom of the top pot or bowl.

Be very careful that you don't ever get water into the chocolate – not even a drop as it will cause the melted chocolate to be grainy and sometimes lumpy.

Milk and white chocolate will keep for a year at optimum flavor. Dark chocolate you can keep for years without any flavor loss.

Hope that helps.

Fun recipe Sarah!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools